Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:01:19 -0500
From:         Yi-Ruey Wei <ray.wei@US.PWCGLOBAL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB: left power window motor
Comments: To: DOINKS99@AOL.COM

This is a very common problem (I replaced 3 power window regulators (luckily, 2 under warranty and with motor) and repaired twice after that) and has been discussed on the list before. All because of these "PLASTIC" rivets holding the upper/lower guides of the cable wire WILL BREAK sooner or later. If your cable wire is not tangled too much and the plastic guide is still there, you can use aluminum rivet to hold the guide back to the metal rail. Then you need to open the motor gear cap and carefully re-spool the cable wire. I do believe VW dealer later sells regulator w/o motor since I bought one for $160. Just remember if your power window suddenly stopped moving, DON'T KEEP PUSHING THE PW SWITCH. If you do, chances are the cable wire will tangle around the spool and the whole regular will become un-repairable. I ruined one and saved the next 2 (left and right) by not doing that.

Regards, Yi-Ruey Wei 87 Vanagon GL Syncro w/leaking cylinder head 85 Jetta GLI w/165,000 miles Dallas