Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:01:12 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      "Smoke in the Cockpit!!!"... Vanagon Drama in Real-life, Part Deux
Comments: cc: bus <type2@type2.com>

"Smoke in the Cockpit!!!"... Vanagon Drama in Real-life, Part Deux

As you may recall, the evening prior, while the motor had just been bolted up in our 1982 White Vanagon Westfalia, our lives were filled with excitement when the oil filter clogged with assembly grease and the filter seal faltered. Our new bigger-better oil pump dutifully pumped all of the new Castrol 20w50 oil onto the ground while I revved our expensive new counterweighted crank and hypereutectic pistons at 3,000 rpm. So, what do you do for excitement?

Having remedied that problem, we took a 9:30 p.m. spin around the block to confirm the feeling of our new motor, cleaned our tools, swept up the oil-soaked Tidy Cat, showered our bodies, and collapsed exhausted into bed. I slept like a baby...drooled on my pillow AND wet the bed.

As it has for eons before, the Sun rose Sunday morning on a beautiful brand-new day. After Church, we decided it was time to put the Vanagon on her first sea trial. Now at this point, some understanding of a certain system of the Vanagon is important for all who are interested. The exhaust gas recirculation system, or EGR for short, draws off a certain percentage of the exhaust product, filters it, and inserts it into the intake manifold during acceleration.

Typically, on older type 4 motors, the EGR system is plugged, corroded, and defunct. Folks have ignored and/or reset the EGR light, and now everything in the system clogged and useless. While the EGR system is important for environmental reasons, it is also essential for cooling the motor. Yes, that's right, by introducing exhaust into the intake mixture, the overall combustion temperature inside the cylinders is lowered significantly. Malfunctioning EGRs tend to cause dropped or burned valves and burned pistons, particularly #3 and #1 in the type 4 motors. These were the exact cylinders that had dropped valves in ours...

So in rebuilding our motor I was careful to replace and repair all of the EGR system to bring it to "like new" condition. This is more difficult than it may sound, but the difficulty of the repair is not what's relevant. What is relevant is that when functioning correctly, the EGR system includes a burning hot pipe running through the motor compartment to the intake manifold. That pipe can be hotter than the muffler of the van. Is for this reason that extreme caution is used in the way that wires and hoses are routed around the EGR pipe and valve. I bet, since you are smart, you know where we're going now.

So Sunday morning, with me clad in dress trousers and a golf shirt (though I don't play), and my beautiful and talented Suzanne clad in her Sunday dress, we set off on our road trip. The town we're moving too is approximately 70 miles away over a variety of roads with a variety of speeds and inclines. Some stops and starts, some high speeds, some puttering. Perfect. Confident in the Vanagon as usual, only the tools/supplies that we normally carry in the van were at our disposal; a multi-head screwdriver, some twine, and a pair of pliers. (Smell the dark clouds, cooking yet?)

The trip down to Mt. Olive, North Carolina was beautiful. The Vanagon performed spectacularly. We drove against headwinds and easily maintained 70 miles an hour. The van accelerated quickly from stop lights. The motor was silky smooth and quiet. We doddled around town for an hour or two, peeked into the windows of the house that we're purchasing, and eventually turned around to come home. Thankfully, our van did NOT burn in the tiny country town where we are about to move (pop. 4,800), or we would be known for the next 20 years as "the folks who moved to town after their VW van burnt up on Center Street..." Ugh.

Having taken back roads most to the way down on the trip, we decided to take US I-40 on the road home. Again, the Vanagon moved spectacularly. We were both well-pleased at the silky smooth performance for the whole trip at speeds of 65-80 mph...until about 3 miles south of the Raleigh Beltway.

After a long steady climb up a mild grade, the van gave an uncharacteristic buck, then continued on.

"What was that?" Suzanne asked. "Oh, nothing," I quickly replied, "probably just a little piece of trash on the wiper for the air flow meter." Our van had never bucked before, and my explanation didn't appear to hold water with her, she ain't dumb. With only 170 miles on the motor, I was perplexed...

A few seconds later, the van bucked again. Then it bucked again, more violently. One more violent buck, and the motor died.

At 60 mph, the dashboard warning lights came on. Acrid smoke began to wisp from the area just in front of my left knee. I quickly turned the ignition off and pulled aside. Sue grabbed the fire extinguisher. But it was not my left knee that was burning.

We quickly ran to the back of the van, since this is the traditional place for VW buses to start their own suicidal funeral pyres. I opened the hatch, whipped out the mattress, and opened the motor compartment to find it (not surprisingly) full of smoke. My heart raced as I thought about how we had just recovered from the oil leak the night prior... how ironic it would be if the van burned on the side of the road today. But that would not be my Luck. My Luck is for drama, but not disaster.

Figuring the extinguisher was overkill, Sue quickly poured a 1 liter icy-cold Diet Coke on the smoking parts. The smoking parts seemed refreshed, after all, Coke is "The Pause That Refreshes". I stood hot and thirsty, looking at my motor, and shaking my head.

If there had been flames, we never saw them. What we did see instead was a charred, smoking wiring harness that ran from the fuel pump relay down to the left rear wheel well... it was charred in the wheel well, and was charred as it made its way up from the wheel well to the starter. What a mess...

So: "What had happened?" you ask? Being a little curious myself, and having a recently increased my financial interest in this beautiful 18-year-old German Kampfrau, I decided to find out.

A 10-gauge wire that runs from the back of the starter to the fuel pump relay and provides electricity for the fuel pump and the fuel injection system was not properly routed far enough away from the EGR. My bust. Who said I'm getting to old to learn things the hard way???

Consequently, the wire fell against the EGR tube. During the period of long heavy acceleration, hot exhaust gases heated the EGR to the point it melted through the insulation on the wire causing it to ground, to short circuit. Once grounded, the 10 gauge wire conducted enough current to fry itself within seconds. The smoke by my left knee was just smoke/fumes coming out of the wiring harness tubing at its only other opening, at the fuse box.

Although the wire may have been loose prior to the rebuild, this was not a potential problem before; the EGR didn't work before the rebuild, so the tube never got hot. So there we were...4:45 p.m. 94 degrees, Sunday afternoon. I-40 just south of Raleigh. Pretty Suzanne in her Sunday dress, trying to comfort frustrated Matthew. I got very lucky when I found her, but that's another story.

The fire fix would be easy if that big wire was the only wire that had been affected. Unfortunately, once that ten gauge goes into the wheel well, it runs through a harness with about 20 other wires for a myriad of other important electrical stuff. All of it was crispy-looking black stuff now.

To make a long story short (too late), I weighed our options. We could call AAA, and wait for 3 hours to be towed 10 miles home. We could reground the wire, turn on the ignition, and collect $2,200 in insurance, and put a down payment in on a Jetta TDi.

Or, being a US Marine at heart, I could seize the initiative, fix the problem, and move on. Having no tools or electrical tape was no impediment. The handle on my camping axe was neatly wrapped with just enough electrical tape to keep the wire from shorting out. I figured the less than I touch the wiring harness the more likely it would be that the insulation between the other wires would remain intact, or the fragments thereof would insulate just enough to get us home. I wrapped the worst bare spots, and switched the ignition on. No problem. I started it. Ran great.

Suzanne sat on the floor on the way home with one hand on the negative terminal of the battery ready to pull it at a moment's notice. With a few Hail Mary's, we made it.

Monday morning I performed major surgery on the electrical system in the left rear wheel well and engine compartment of our van. I essentially re-created and replaced the entire wiring harness from the shock tower back to the fuel pump relay, and over to the starter. It is encased in rubber inner-tubing, and sealed with silicone sealant and Scotch-Lock cable ties. Six hours later, after careful review of every system on the van, I cautiously started the van again for the first time.

At this hour, it now has more than 350 miles on it, and still runs like a champ. I love it!

Its powerful. Granted, it won't burn long copious streaks of black rubber on the pavement, but it will spin the right rear tire from a stop, which for a Westy, ain't bad. With the extra weight of the counter weighted crank, and a lighter weight hypereutectic pistons, it has all the low-end torque that I wanted, and smooth, balanced performance. We are pleased as punch and can't wait to take camping this fall.

The moral of the story? I am probably one of the most meticulous folks on this list. If this stuff can happen to me, it can happen to any one. Worse, it can happen in ways that are not as "recoverable". I used a little too much assy. grease inside the oil pump, and the filter seal failed. I didn't put a wire in EXACTLY the right spot, and almost lost my van. Be careful. If you find a good mechanic to do your work, pay him well. If you are faced with doing work yourself, triple check all. Be safe.

I won't be posting much for the next month or so, as we're buying a house that I have to major projects ongoing work.

Blessings on all of you, drive safe,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree