Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:41:47 EDT
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C Grey Filter Spewing
Comments: To: mayfly95@paonline.com

> From: mayfly95@PAONLINE.COM (Mike) > > Does anyone remember who (Steve maybe?) posted something about a > deteriating filter spitting out of the a/c vents? I thought I saved a > copy to do the repair myself, but must have lost it with my hard drive > format last week. > > My daughter almost ate a "french fry" alias piece of grey foam after I > had the a/c on and we stopped. > > Would appreciate a repost or forward .. thanx > > mike > 87 westy Rasputin

Mike -

Yup, I'm the one who had the spectacularly deteriorating A/C filter wafting black snow throughout my van. I would say the only remedy is to remove the evaporator housing and get rid of the filter. I've got a description and a couple of blurry pictures of this project at my web site, members.aol.com/ssittservl/Westfalia.

Someone else wrote me recently asking for more detailed instructions. A copy of what I sent him appears below.

Good luck with fixing this, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

-Steven Sittser

I mostly used the instructions in the Bentley manual. I don't have it with me - it's in the van, which is at the shop - so unfortunately I can't give you page references. However, I think everything was in the section that covers removing the camper cabinetry - the closet, the fridge, etc. It's possible I used some information from the A/C section too.

Here's what I remember:

- First step is to take down the driver's side tray/curtain rail, above the sink. Otherwise, you can't get to some screws you need to get to in the plastic A/C vent cowling. Bentley has step-by-step instructions on this somewhere. This is a bit of a pain, because it has curtains attached to it, it's big and heavy, and it includes the wiring for the cabin light. I spent days with this propped up on a box or something to avoid disconnecting the wires, but that was silly - it's easy to disconnect the wires and reconnect them, so you can get the whole assembly out of the van. You'll probably want a friend to help with getting this down.

- Next is the metal trim strip that runs across the van in front of the vent cowling. Basically, just a bunch of screws with plastic caps over them. Use a knife or putty knife or something similar (strong & thin) to get under the screw caps and pry them off.

- Next is the plastic vent cowling. It's in two pieces - the one big giant obvious piece, and a little L-shaped (or something like that) piece that fits over by the closet. This involves more capped screws from below, and some screws you get to from above by removing the cushion from the upper bunk. (I think you do the upper bunk screws first.) Now you're looking right into the air blower.

- Next is the cold air return panel, which you get to from the rear van hatch. Two obvious bolts hold it on.

- Next is the big wooden housing itself. This is a big pain to get down, and an even bigger pain to get back up. The problem is that, once you remove the bolts that hold it up, there are still hoses and wires getting in the way, and threatening to break if you let the housing drop before you manage to reach in and disconnect them all. Oh, and the housing is pretty heavy, too. Get a friend to help. Allow half an hour to an hour. (You might do it in 10 minutes if it goes smoothly, but it might not). Have some boxes or crates or something to stack on the rear bed, to a height of about 3 to 6 inches below the housing - you can use them to support the housing while you reach in to fiddle with hoses and wires. The height may need to be somewhat adjustable. Have a good flashlight to shine into the housing. One person works from the front of the housing, the other (doing most of the work) works from the back. The person in back shouts "Quick, hold on to that!" and "Ack! Don't let that fall!" a lot.

I think there are just 4 bolts holding up the housing, if I remember - two from below, one in the closet, and one in the little shelf to the left of the main shelf behind the evaporator.

The wires to worry about are the speaker wires, and the power to the blowers. I seem to remember that the resistor packs that control blower speed would have been pretty awkward, except that the mountings for mine were broken anyway. The hoses are the two drain hoses for the drip tray, and the freon hoses to and from the evaporator. The drain hoses are the harder ones to deal with, because they need to be disconnected, since they go through holes in the sides of the housing. The freon hoses fit into a "slot" with an open top, so they can be left connected, and they aren't as much of a problem.

The blowers and speakers will come come down with the housing; the evaporator stays behind. There's also a separate plastic shroud that fits in front of the evaporator.

All that's from memory, so if Bentley differs from me at any point, then it's probably right, and I'm probably misremembering.

I removed the old foam (what was left of it) by clipping the bailing wire that holds it to the evaporator. (Actually, it took me quite a while to realize that was what I needed to do - I spent a long time trying to remove it without clipping the wire, out of fear that the wire was doing something important.) I used a vaccuum and a brush to get rid of off the smaller bits. As for replacing it - I didn't. I couldn't find anyone - VW dealer, independant VW service place, or the vanagon mailing list - who could tell me confidently what this foam was for. Everyone seemed to think it wasn't necessary. The A/C works just fine without it. (One day the van will explode in a cloud of freon, and some wise German van-designer-turned- insurance-investigator will say to me, "You didn't remove that foam blanket around the evaporator, did you?")

Assembly is just like disassembly, but in the reverse order, and much harder. Now instead of yanking those hoses and wires apart, you're trying to connect them back together and get them in the right place, all while making the heavy housing go up instead of down. Once the evaporator housing is back up, though, everything else is relatively easy.

I suggest trying out the A/C without the vent cowling - the strong air stream to the front seats is great. That's what convinced me to remove the interior baffles and add the new foam "guides", to get a stronger central stream. I was tempted to leave the vent cowling off altogether.

Replacing all the weatherstripping made a big difference in the noise, and I think in the volume of air.

As always, once everything's taken apart, it's a good time to think about any other enhancements you might want to make - running extra wiring, etc..

Oh, and be sure to keep little labeled cups or something to keep track of all the different screws and where they go. There are lots of them.

Recently, I pulled off the cold air return grill again and taped a piece of window air conditioner filter behind it, to keep from getting too much debris into the evaporator and blower. I don't know that it would ever really be a problem, but I decided the filter couldn't hurt.

Good luck with the project. I found it to be a pretty big one, but I'm very happy with the results - it was definitely worth while. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.