Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:10:22 -0700
From:         Jon Kenneke <jon@BITBLASTER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auxilliary gas can
Comments: To: Noto-Gaudette <derwin@NET1PLUS.COM>

For a "safe" gas alternative....

I was in GI-JOES (a west coast overpriced sporting goods/auto parts store that has AMSOIL for below "dealer" cost...the only reason I shop there) and saw some product that was safe-gas...don't remember the real name..but it was a gallon of "gas" (As in gasoline) that would get you to the next gas station. It was in a standard plastic bottle, like anti-freeze.

So, it caught my attention (even though I am a diesel-head)...looked at the label on the jug. It did not say what was in it, but it gave a number...the numbers used to ID chems. It said it would not explode like gas, etc...but, it also said that you don't want to run it in your car all the time. Could be some sort of alcohol. But, this could be a safe alternative to carrying real gasoline. It was expensive....anybody know what this stuff really is???

Since I am a diesel-head, I don't worry about that...even "worse", I run my '83 Vanagon on bio-diesel, which has a really high flash point...I don't worry about carrying extra fuel...I have tried lighting that stuff with a match, in a lantern with a wick, and so forth...compress and nuclear blasts seem to be the only thing to set it off...:-)...not to get in the diesel vs. gas war...I admit it...my diesel vanagon is slow...VERY slow.

SO, all I have to say is Fahrvergnugen....say the word!

-jon

========================================================================= Jon Kenneke jon@bitblaster.com KA7PGB Senior Partner, BitBlaster Internet Services Internet Services for as-low-as $5.00 per month. Full Business Domains (yourname.com) for $20.00 per month. http://www.bitblaster.com BIS - 131 NW 4th St. #132 - Corvallis, OR 97330 ========================================================================