Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:15:01 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Auxillary battery alternative
Comments: To: David Bogle <bogle@BWAY.NET>

David, I believe Darrell's 'interrupters' are simply circuit breakers. They are sold in various amp ratings at your FLAPS. But be aware that circuit breakers, like relays can be overloaded and weld themselves in either the open or the closed position.

The stock wire between the starter battery and the relay in the auxiliary battery box is routed via the main fuse panel by the driver's left knee. Then the 2.5mm wire comes from a spade connector (red wire on mine) at the left, rear, half way up on the main fuse panel and runs down near the gas peddle under the carpet and into the auxiliary battery box near the seat belt anchor. It would be easy to replace this 2.5mm wire with a #8 gauge wire and the stock relay with a 40 amp or higher relay.

Another danger to consider using a starter battery and 2.5mm wire in the auxiliary battery box is that and unsealed battery emits explosive gases when it charges. This gas in an enclosed space along with a spark from overloaded wires/relay could result in a battery explosion.

How often will the battery draw approach 30 amps? That depends on how many times you draw the battery down below 10.5 volts (see the test results in my post last March 10). All it takes is to forget and leave your interior appliances on overnight and you have a completely discharged battery (I measured a draw of 35 to 75 amps in the situation!). It's true you have propane, but the point is that your lights/appliances will draw the battery down whether your fridge is on propane or not. Then when you start your engine the discharged battery draws the amps from the alternator.

I don't know how many times or how many hours per time it takes to start a fire by overheating your wiring components, but one thing is for sure... if you find out how many times it takes it will be the last time.... perhaps the last time you drive your van.

Good Luck, Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: David Bogle <bogle@BWAY.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, July 15, 1999 11:31 AM Subject: Re: Auxillary battery alternative