Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:56:27 PDT
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Screwing in the Van (F) (Long)

Well, I did figure almost everyone on the list would open this one -- and I do promise to talk about screwing in the van -- but I wanted to use this occasion of getting your attention to briefly introduce myself to the list.

My name is Tony Peet and I live in Pacific Grove, California (next door to Monterey -- about 2 hours south of San Francisco). I basically couldn't get the idea of owning a Westy out of my head, so last spring I rented a '91 from Roamin'Holidays in Albuquerque (Tom is a great guy) and explored a lot of the Anastazi ruins and just fell in love with the camper....

.....So I now own a '91 Syncro Westy which, after much research and many test drives, I decided to buy from J&R VW Vans in Reno, Nevada. Basically all they do is buy/restore/refurbish Vanagons/Syncros/Westies and their own confidence and pride in their work -- along with their integrity -- really helped give ME the confidence to enter the world of (especially) Syncro ownership......(as did the existence/availability/experience of all of you in this Vanagon dot community).

I am not a mechanic, but I am a tinkerer and have access to some pretty smart VW folks at J&R, so my contributions to the list will be indirectly informed and in other areas of the Westfalia experience....

Now about screwing in the van. I HIGHLY recommend it and I'm SURE almost everyone on the list can do it. Probably some of you already have! All it takes is a certain willingness to explore, a curious and probing mind and body, AND.....

........a Phillips screwdriver! (Don't flame me yet, I'm not done.)

Last weekend I spent hours in the van screwing everything I could, and boy was everything really tight! Wait till you experience the joy of screwing curtain snaps, curtain rails (especially on the hatch!), the chrome 'gutter' on the interior of the Westy where the pop top sits, plastic vents - - there are things to screw EVERYWHERE!!! AND its REALLY SATISFYING after you have screwed them all!!! If you keep at it, you will discover things to screw that you had never imagined could be so loose. It might be the most satisfying and enjoyable thing you have ever done in the van, and you take great comfort in the fact that if you hadn't screwed them they would have eventually fallen apart!

Now maybe I should have mentioned up front that I hope no one opened this thinking that I was going to write about funny or clever or embarrassing sexual experiences in our campers. Or even about OTHERS' embarrassing sexual experiences in THEIR campers. OR the LACK of these experiences. OR RUMORS about these experiences. OR the desire to HAVE these experiences!

As I think about it, the title of my posting could have been misleading to some, so I'll think a little longer before I write next time. I sure HOPE no one misconstrued what I meant or feels like I wasn't clear about what I meant.

But maybe that sexual experiences thing would be a good thread sometime. Maybe for some Friday sometime......whaddaya think? We could call it "Screwing in the Van!"

TGIF