Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:48:09 -0400
From:         Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.6D to 1.6TD(Turkey stories)
Comments: To: Eren Berberoglu <dieselwesty@HOTMAIL.COM>

>I want to install a turbo to my 1.6 diesel westy , I was thinking to install a 1.9 TD engine but here its about 4000$ (in Turkey) ...

Can't help you with the diesl engine problems, but noticed the Turkey comment.

I worked at the American School in Karamürsel, between Izmit and Yalova, from 1972 to 1974 and drove my '71 Westy all over the country. Most notable was breaking a valve on the way from Bodrum and having to put her on a truck and haul it back home. Had it rebuild locally and drove another year there and then shipped it home. When I got home I had the engine rebuilt for other reasons and discovered that one of the wrist pins had been installed upside down, wearing a groove in the piston. Amazing machine to keep on truckin' with things wrong with it.

Another good time was climbing Nimrut Dag and bottoming out on a drainage ditch. cracked the crank case and started leaking gear oil. The local mechanic couldn't do anything so he made me a wrench for the filler hole by welding a large bolt to a piece of steel, and sold me some gear oil. I added some every night until I got to Adana where I found a mechanic who could help. We drained the oil, cleaned the crank case, and used an epoxy cement called "404". Sold the "Blue Bus" three years later and it never leaked another drop!

My first time camping alone in Turkey was a few months after I got there and my Turkish was not the best. I was driving along the South Coast and spotted a small road leading to what looked like a beach. It was getting dark, so I went down and set up, built a small bonfire from drift wood and had supper and some wine. A short while later, I heard a noise of someone coming through the dark. Needless to say, I was alarmed, when a young boy about 10 or so came out of the dark with an arm load of tomatos and gave them to me. He refused any money but through sign language and my little Turkish, we determined he was in school and that I was a teacher. We talked for a long time, I'm sure neither of us knows much of what the other said, but we had a good time. He did finally accept a ball point pen as a gift.

I always recieved this type of treatment from Turks everywhere I went for the two and a half years I was there. I will remember Turkey as a place of friendly people and wonderful camping experiences. Also did some sailing, but that is another story.