Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:18:10 -8
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <wesn@mail.eskimo.com>
From:         Wes Neuenschwander <wesn@ESKIMO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shifter Rattle (Was:  Re: shift lever adjustment)
Comments: To: Randy Bergum <organslave@EARTHLINK.NET>

Excessive play in the shift linkage and bushings was carefully considered ruled out in both the '82 and '91 (actually replaced the front bushing in the '91, but no improvement). Front and rear linkages have been relubed (sometimes a temporary improvement), as have the bushings. And at least in my case(s) the noise does go away when I push the stick away from the sides of the gate box. Ditto if I push the shifter towards the gate.

I think it's also interesting that (at least in my case) the problem goes away if I either accelerate or decelerate, which -among other things - does torque the shifter linkage slightly, emulating, perhaps, the effect of manually pushing the shifter knuckle away/towards the gate.

However having followed this issue here for a few years now, I think its likely we may be dealing with multiple causes (alas, vanagon life is never simple). Others have previously suggested worn engine mounts, excessive engine vibration, transmission problems, in addition to the worn shifter u-joints, bushings that Randy has pointed out as possible causes.

I think in all cases though its important to focus on where the noise itself originates. A fair amount of mechanical vibration can be tolerated without causing audible noise. It's where the mechanical energy is converted into sound energy that the noise occurs. At least in my particular case this noise is clearly coming from the shifter assembly. I suspect that even with minimal mechanical vibration, a substantial amount of noise can be created by the effect of the shifter knuckle vibrating against the gate, which then transmits the sound energy through the enclosure (below the floor) and floor pan, in addition to direct transmission through the shifter itself.

-Wes