Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:23:55 EDT
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Warranty Rust Repair Gone Bad (the saga continues)

Many moons ago, I reported to the list of my attempt to have seam rust repaired on my '93 EV MV under warranty. I made an appointment with the local VW dealer who had the local VW rep come by and look at it.

They called a local Body shop to do the work as no VW dealers here in St. Louis have their own body shop.

The local shop did a lousy job of caulking the seam. They squirted the caulk in and then attempted to smooth it out. What I ended up with was a panel seam that looked like a poor caulking job you would see around the windows outside of your home. Bumps and ridges and completely uneven.

After many threats to VW, Suntrup VW dealer, and Frank's Auto Body, Frank's agreed to take another shot at it.

Franks did an okay job on the seam, but where they repaired the EV from the front door back is the worst professional paint job I have ever seen. There are runs and drips clearly visible in the paint. There are pin holes in the paint all over, there are several dull spots that they sanded and then missed. Under the windows is overspray that has not been rubbed out.

This past Monday I attempted to have Suntrup VW look at the work. They were not interested at all in the problems, and the owner kept pointing out other defects in my EV, where the paint is worn, or the decals are pealing. This has nothing to do with the work that VW paid for. Suntrup claims no responsibility for the work, and further told me that it was between me, VW and Franks. I asked the service manager who paid Franks and was told that VW paid them directly. I called the VW rep, who tells me that VW made the check out to the dealer, and not Franks.

The VW rep says he will meet with Suntrup this Monday to work this out. At this point I have at least 3 layers of paint on the EV, and I told him that I would only accept a repair done at a shop of my choice, where they completely sand down the whole side and start over. If they will not agree to this, I'm going to have to take them to court.

I don't like the idea of spending time in court, although I guess they will likely settle before that happens.

Sorry for the long post, just had to rant a little.

Steve Lashley '74 Campmobile '93 EV MV http://EuroCampers.com Importing German Side Tents, Carver Propane Heaters and other Accessories for Bus, Vanagon and Eurovan