Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Aug 1999 23:57:21 EDT
From:         Daniel Puzio <vanagondan@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      idle stabilizer

I read the archives but have some specific questions about the idle stabilizer. After a recent tune up (adjusted timing replace plugs & wires)on my 87 vanagon and a replacement of coolant temperature sensor the engine starts and idles briefly at about 900RPM then goes up and stays up at 2200RPM. My mechanic loaned me another (used) idle stabilizer valve and the engine now oscillates from 1000 to about 3000 RPM. When I disconnect the valve the engine idles fine when warm. When replacing my idle valve it return to idling at about 2200 RPM.

Of course my mechanic does not even suggest that the tune up and the temperature sensor are related to this new problem (of mine)and is suggesting that I replace the idle stablizer module. Before I plunk down $200 I need some advise and wisdom from the more enlightened.

(Another observation after the tune up. Prior the car usually ran fine on 87 octane. After it has been sluggish. My mechanic has suggested higher octane fuel rather than advance the timing. I'm thinking that he retarded the timing in his tune up.)

My questions: 1 - is any of this related? 2 - What are the specifics about the recall on the 86-87 idle stabilizer? 3 - Does the idle stabilizer module truely adjust timing to attain proper idle as was stated in a previous comment? and if so, by retarding the timing (with his tune up)has my mechaic thrown someting "out of whack"? 4 -Are there sources for reconditioned idle stabilizer modules?

Thanks for any suggestions or help with these questions. Dan Puzio Baltimore MD.