Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Aug 1999 11:22:41 -0400
From:         Woody Halsey <WoodyHalsey@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Woody's woes update

Dear Friends,

I too am happy to have the list back ... even though it's absence freed up some time to attend to other matters for a while!

Since last I wrote to describe my engine's annoying stumbling habits, I have replaced the Temp2 sensor with the one from my parts car, put in an entirely new exhaust (from BusDepot) system, complete with cat and expensive O2 sensor, and replaced the fuel filter with a new one. I had already switched AFM's with the one from the parts car. I have also checked as many terminals and plugs as I can readily see from above the engine, polished them w/ emory paper, and sprayed with the electronic cleaner from NAPA recommended by various list members.

Results: I am getting better gas mileage (just over 20 MPG now) ... but still have the stumbling problem. The engine refuses to accelerate for several seconds at very low speeds in second and then, usually but not *always* after it's warmed up it catches and hiccups at 20MPH, 35MPH, and

50MPH. It runs fine at other speeds and even OK at 50MPH in third, but not in fourth.

I have recently met a new mechanic, classic German guy with tons of experience in Germany and here, specializing in MB's and VW's. He says the symptoms might be caused by faulty vacuum hoses (that's a new theory), non-Bosch spark plugs (I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what's in there now), or, most likely, the AFM. I guess the latter is still possible and the only way to know for sure is try a "known good part," but it just seems a little unlikely that I would have the exact same symptoms with two different ones. Isn't it more likely that it is something else which hasn't been replaced yet?

With sympathy for all you who have described similar difficulties and thanks in advance for any further suggestions,

Woody