Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:41:05 -0700
From:         Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM
Subject:      Re: [vanagon]  Re: Exhaust Deal (My idea) No Van content
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com

How many cars are there in the usa? How many tons of co2 are released...co...carbon...and help me chemists...what else? The logic you employ is falacious. The underlying assumption is that so long as someone else is dumping more garbage than me...it's ok for me to dump mine cause i'm not the main problem. Every polluter could lump all the other polluters together in a similar fashion and rationalize that they are not the problem since all the others are the primary problem in compairson. The result...no one takes responsibility for any of it. Contrast that with each individual, commuter and factory owner alike, taking responsibility for "their" pollution. My guess is that there would be a drastic reduction.

I think people need to see more planets with no life on them to realize how special earth is and how stupid we are to take it for granted and to not always act to preserve it or not to trash it at least. Part of that is complying with imperfect laws, IMO..for me anyway. steve

KENWILFY@aol.com wrote: > > From: KENWILFY@aol.com > > Don't want to be politically incorrect but I have to agree with Leif and > Stuart. > The best thing that polution control has done is to force US companies to put > fuel injection on thier vehicles (they would still be running inefficient > carburators if they weren't forced to replace them with FI because carbs just > won't pass emissions). > In the aviation world we have no pollution control at all. Almost every > small plane has a carburator and runs an aircooled engine, and has lead on > the fuel (the low lead version contains 6 times as much lead as car fuel ever > did). No cats or pollution pumps here. Why? They claim there are not > enough of them to make a difference pollution wise. > I feel the same about cars in a way. The real environmental impact is done > by big companies, electrical generation plants, mills, etc. These companies > are allowed to buy and sell pollution points (that means they can pollute > more if they buy points from a company that pollutes less! Now that makes > sense.). Nobody does anything much about it because these companies have big > money, and we would all be hurt by lost jobs and higher prices if they were > really cracked down on. > But we all have cars so they make laws regulating pollution on cars. This > makes it appear like they are doing something. When in reality they are > shutting down hydro electric plants in Maine, and starting up coal or Nuke > plants instead. > Don't be fooled by the auto emmissions issue. It is a smoke screen (pardon > the pun) to keep us from seeing what is really going on. > Ken Wilford > Van-Again > John 3:16 > PS Where did I put those fire retardant plaid pants anyway? > > --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ---------------------------- > > Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes! > For details on ONElist’s NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------