Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:56:47 -0400
From:         Ezra Hall <ehall@BTV.IBM.COM>
Subject:      New to List, looking to buy Synchro, need lots of advice

-- Hello everyone, I just joined the list this morning. My name is Ezra Hall, and I am interested in learning more about Vanagons prior to purchasing one. Let me describe what we am looking for, then perhaps some of you can provide assistance in directing towards a particular year and model of Vanagon (or Westfalia, what are the differences?). The vehicle will be driven primarily by my wife, we live in Vermont. We are interested in the Camper version as the primary reason for considering a Vanagon or Westfalia is camping. Since it snows often here Vt, the Synchro version is a must. From looking at www.vanagon.com, I think an '86 or later partial or full synchro camper is what we are interested in. I understand that it may be a bit difficult to find such a beast in our area, so we may need to travel to find it. However, I am willing to do work/modifications on it, so perhaps that opens up the possibilities. In particular, I understand the engine is way underpowered on these vehicles. What are the options for replacement/upgrade? I saw a post this AM with regards to using a Suburu engine, what about Porsche engines? Is is possible to convert a Vanagon Synchro to a Vanagon Camper Synchro (addition of pop-up roof). Are non-VW sink/stove/fridge combos available? Could we purchase a non-camper version, then convert? Obviously, I have a lot to learn about these vehicles before embarking on this endevour. The two different paths that I am thinking of are:

1) Purchase a Vanagon or Westfalia camper in excellent condition and won't need much work. Pros- Usable right away, won't be as much of a time and money drain Cons- won't match our desires as closely, will have to travel to find

2) Purchase a Vanagon or Westfalia that needs work, go through the entire vehicle before use, modify,etc.. Pros- o End up with a vehicle that most closely matches our desires o Could purchase more locally o Would be re-built when done and hopefully wouldn't require as much maintenance as #1. Cons- o Lots of time and may cost more than #1 o May be difficult to find a low rust example in NE

Thanks in advance for your assistance. If you can suggest additional sources of information that I should reference (web sites, FAQ's, etc..) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ezra Hall www.together.net/~ehall 1986 Porsche 944, 256Kmiles, perfect mechanical condition after lots of work 1995 VW Golf, 43Kmiles, already showing signs of mechanical problems!