Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:00:26 -0700
From:         Captain Ray <busray@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: clean air again
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>>Bigger SUV's, well, I won't buy one. However, a Ford Excursion with a Powerstroke Diesel probably gets better economy and has lower pollution than my Vanagon. Of course, it is an absurd vehicle that most people that buy won't really need.<<

Stuart, I read that even the gas Excursion meets the new "Low Emissions Vehicle Standard." Both gas and diesel probably get better gas mileage than most of the vanagons on the road. It seats up to nine, the same as the vanagon. And it is available with four wheel drive, just like our synchro's. Most of us don't really need a bus, but we sure do love 'em.

I despise leather this and upholstered that "utility" vehicles, but my point is that we should not necessarily jump on the bandwagon. To the tree-freak/car-nazi/end-of-the-world-because-of- (enter the unproven environmetal theory of the week)-type that thinks anything bigger than an electric Civic or Metro is too much car, we are just as guilty as the Excursion owner.

Flame away. I'm gone all weekend!!!!