Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:23:49 -0700
From:         George Chapman <landmark@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: clean air again
Comments: To: Ron Lussier <coyote@ANDROMEDIA.COM>

Ron & Volks;

This topic is sure to "explode" into many facets. All of them important to someone. Here's my general comments on a facet of the discussion that were included in a "Letter to the Editor" at www.Salon.com (an E-zine) in response to an online article about the demise of Honda's electric car.

" Electric cars are niche vehicles and not a broad solution to vehicle pollution or transportation needs. The article indicated the short-range capability of electric vehicles. That limited range makes them most useful for short urban trips.

Imagine, if you will, a large increase in the number of these electric vehicles on the road. Sure would be quiet; but the surge in electrical power generating needed to recharge their batteries could be substantial. And we all know the inefficiency (max 70 percent) of our electrical generating power plants. So the reduced pollution at the electric vehicle "tailpipe" is somewhat countered by the increased emissions at the power plant "smokestack."

Diesel-electric hybrids, on the other hand, do create emission pollutants, but much less than with current engine technology. Diesel-electric's are currently moving closer to introduction through a concerted research and development effort by the federal government and the auto industry, and they are likely to be more attractive to consumers than electric vehicles (in functionality and price).

The electric vehicle is not a "silver bullet" vehicle. A range of engine and TRANSPORTATION (emphasis mine) solutions are the best bet to help clear the dirty air we all breathe."

(This letter was shortened by Salon and does not include the other engine options such as other hybrid engines (natural gas) or fuel cells, that are options.)

In the end analysis, if you want to limit pollution, drive less.

Glad it's Friday, so I don't get slammed for being "long winded".

- - George Chapman, 91 GL Lake Almanor, CA