Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:04:53 -0700
From:         Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@EVCL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon]  Re: Exhaust Deal / Smog
Comments: To: KENWILFY@aol.com

>From: KENWILFY@aol.com > >Steve, not saying that cars don't pollute. Just saying that I believe that >the whole car pollution thing is basically designed to take our minds off of >the real polluters. I think that car pollution should be regulated (Honda >has an engine now that is so clean it's emissions are breathable air!) but >that we shouldn't let this distract us from the fact that there is still alot >of pollution going on out there that isn't being properly regulated. I mean >the whole push toward electric powered cars shows very plainly that people >don't really understand what is going on. >Ken Wilford >Van-Again >John 3:16

Ken, Take a look at this quote from Scientific American http://www.sciam.com/1196issue/1196sperling.html (the artile is good but most of the links are outdated)

"Cars account for half the oil consumed in the U.S., about half the urban pollution and one fourth the greenhouse gases. They take a similar toll of resources in other industrial nations and in the cities of the developing world"

Reading this, I would have a hard time not considering cars "Real polluters". Vanagons are not the worst of the old cars because they do have closed loop systems with catalysts but I still feel we have an obligation to do what we can to keep them burning clean.

I also don't understand where you see the problem with electric cars. I have worked in the electric car industry for nine years now and I still think that they are a big step in the right direction. No, they are not the holy grail of transportation, but they have the super advantage that the user doesn't have to do anything to upgrade the air quality. As Ron has pointed out, it's easy to clean up a few power plants in comparison to cleaning up millions of personally owned autos. Take a look at the article above and tell me what part of it you don't agree with.

I personally wouldn't mind laws requiring all cars to meet pollution standards that are no more than 10 years old. Yes, it would cost a lot for the user, but if we really want to drive our classic cars then we should do so responsibly.

-Otmar-

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Otmar Ebenhoech Electric Vehicle Components Ltd. "I wish I die sleeping peacefully like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers" Otmar@evcl.com http://www.evcl.com (650) 494-9255 -----------------------------------------------------------------------