Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:23:50 -0400
From:         karl <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Viscous couplings!
Comments: To: Spare Vanagon list <vanagon@onelist.com>,
          Syncro List <syncro@onelist.com>

Today at my shop, I had my first run-in with the famed and often feared 'Viscous coupling'. I was working on a Westy Syncro that I am getting ready to sell, and decided to test said coupling. Jacked the rear up, started it up, put it in gear, and........nothing! Not the slightest movement from the front. Well, I happened to be so lucky to have a 'spare' van here, so I pulled the front diff and transplanted it to the Westy. Works fine!

Now for the 'fun' part. Having had a father who was a tinkerer (that's how I got my start in this business), I of couse had to pull the old diff apart to have a look at what troubled it. Wonderfully easy to remove the viscous coupling! On the bench, I removed the two small plugs from the side plate. Nothing ran out....hmmm.....it did have a somewhat foul odor though. Not knowing what to expect, I lightly placed the coupling in a vise, to hold it together as I removed the large snapring that holds it all together. Carefully loosened the vise, nothing popped apart. A couple taps with the plastic mallet, and the thing seperated. I have always been under the impression that these viscous coupling were some really complicated device, but it is not so. Basically, a cup-shaped housing, a side plate, a hub, and a stack of thin plates, alternating ones having holes or slots. Quite a simple assembly, IMO! This particular unit had very little fliud in it, however all the plates appear in very good condition, free of warpage. There was a small amount of fluid (more like sticky 'motor-honey') on the plates. The failure that allowed the fluid to escape was one of the seals on the hub. That's it--one little seal. This brings me to my next idea: if we can somehow get our hands on the fluid, as well as the two seals and one o-ring, we (or I) could rebuild these things at a very reasonable cost. Am I missing anything in my thoughts? Is there any reason, outside of finding the bits to 'rebuild' them, that this is not a possibility? Please pardon me if I missed any pertinent postings recently, I guess I am guilty of using the delete key excessively. So, lets talk about this. Any thoughts?

Karl Mullendore '87 West Syncro x 2 (1 FS) '87 Syncro 7-pass x 2 (both FS)