Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:04:38 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine hesitation -- Need Help!

Gary-

A very small group of problems can cause the type of hesitation/poor performance you speak of. It seems that the remainder of your message was clipped, so we don't have a lot to go on, so I will explain the obvious things to me...you may have one or many of the following problems.

It has to be one or a combination of three things. (A) the ignition system, (2) the fuel injection system, or (III) a bad ground.

To diagnose (A), look for an old condenser, ugly cap/rotor, or bum ignition wires/a high voltage spark leak. Change your plugs, rotor, points, and condenser if this hasn't been done recently. If your plug wires are old, replace these. If the ignition is the problem, this will probably fix it. The only thing that would remain questionable is the coil, which probably wouldn't be the problem, but also 'could' cause your problem, though it is less likely.

More likely is the fuel system, (2). Bucking here is often caused by a dirty wiper on the Air flow meter (AFM), but never have I seen this fault cause such a marked decrease in performance. There is a lot of recent information in the archives (a post in the past 24 hours) on cleaning the AFM wiper. Follow the info and clean it. This may help.

Also, the "dual relay" (on the driver's side of the fryer wall) may be to blame (small black box with lots of wires). This is a semi-costly part, ($50?) and I am in favor of opening it up and cleaning the contacts thoroughly prior to out-and-out replacement. It is time consuming and requires patience, but may be worth the effort. Finally, your fuel filter 'could' be the cause, but that usually doesn't cause bucking when it is clogged, just horrible performance (like not being able to get above 40 mph).

Finally, (III) check all the grounds. There is a group of grounds under the ERG valve, and MANY of the fuel related components rely on a solid ground. If, for example, the dual relay isn't screwed tightly to the firewall, it may not feed a clear signal, and cause 'bucking'. Check all of these.

Also, the battery MUST be firmly attached to the circuit in the L-Jetronic system (which you have). I had a 1976 bus that bucked wildly, but intermittently from NC to TX. At 2:00 a.m, after looking at everything else on the van for two days, and fed up with the bucking, we wearily stopped in the parking lot of a place called "Clown Around" in the middle of nowhere, and figured out that the negative lead to the battery was loose. Check that.

In the broad analysis, ignition related bucking is usually more "sharp" or severe than fuel related bucking, if than makes any sense. The cylinder will usually fire a little bit on remaining fuel vapor if the fuel cuts out for a microsecond, but a lack of ignition means a total failure to fire for that instant. Comprendez vous?

Please let us know what the problem turns out to be...

Best o' luck,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Gary Basey [SMTP:gbasey@LINK2000.NET] Sent: Saturday, August 14, 1999 1:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Engine hesitation -- Need Help!

My family and I were 1,200 miles into a 1,500 mile vacation when our '80 Westy (2.0 aircooled) begin to buck and kick. It never died but we couldn't get above 40 MPH. It seemed to want to take off but would hesitate