Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:43:27 +0000
From:         Martin Kennelly <korn@SIMNET.IS>
Subject:      Re: 1,6TDSL changing engine drive belt

Yes it is possible to do this job without the need to buy any special tools and obtain as close to perfect timing as makes no difference. Having a patient helper who you can assist when needed is a luxury. You will note from the Bentley 13.20 and 23.3 that you need to turn the engine to tdc the cam and lock the pump and line up the flywheel notch .

First "rotate the engine until the cam lobe cyl. one points upwards". Then you can observe that a suitably thick plate can be inserted onto the the other side of the cam and locked so that the cam will not move. Line up the notch on the flywheel to a visible mark that you can see through the peephole with the aid of a long flexible neck and a flashlight. Then you need to lock the pump sprocket, use a bolt about 7 cm long and exactly 1.6cm thick, it exactly fits in the hole on the sprocket , locking it to the block.

The pump is now locked, Then you have to lock the cam, The easiest way is to have a helper ( of any age and any intelligence) to wedge the thick plate and keep it in place ( it can pop out ).I used a thick galvanized plate cut into a suitable shape and drilled two holes into it so that I could secure it into the head using the cam cover bolts. Even so what ever you use has to be wedged in for extra security. Then you can loosen the cam sprocket nut, and give the sprocket a whack with a rubber hammer in order to loosen it. You then check the flywheel alignment, the notches on the pump sprocket wheel and of course the cam. Put on the new belt and tension it, not too tight not too lose. You should be able to obtain almost perfect timing to within a half of a pump sprocket wheel tooth. if you are not entirely happy with the timing, re smoke, noise and performance the you can get the professional to use a gauge for the final adjustment to the pump timing.

What does the sl stand for. ( 1.6tdsl) - slow? slouch? steal?

Good luck, Martin Kennelly