Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:39:33 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Wanted:  Rebuildable Diesel Engine
Comments: To: VWDiesel List <diesel@vwfans.com>

I have done all the fiddling I can think of with my engine, which is a 1.9l with the 1.6l hydraulic head. It is consuming 15W-40 at a pace of around 80 miles/quart. The cost of a rebuilt engine is just too much, and I want to do the work myself as much as possible. I've followed a few leads from the newspaper and the Trader with no luck.

Does anyone have a tired 1.6l NA diesel in their parts stash that they are willing sell? I will pay a reasonable price. I would prefer to have a complete engine with all accessories and injector pump but will take even a short block to get started.

One question about diesels: I know that there are 11mm and 12mm head bolts. Does my block/head combination positively indicate one bolt size or the other? If so, I would prefer that the engine I buy have the same size head bolts as my current setup.

I am in southern California and am willing to drive a few hours to find the right engine. I travel to the Phoenix area about once a month.

Thanks in advance

Mike Snow 1982 Westy diesel