Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:04:32 -0700
From:         walt spak <wnsopc3@3RDM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Those damn door mirrors...
Comments: To: Sean O'Neil <soneil@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>

Sean,

I replaced the mirrors on my 84 GL with "Baby West Coast" mirrors from J.C. Whitney. These mirrors are stainless steel and hold up very well. I used the existing mounting holes on the door for the lower mounts. I may have had to drill a new hole or two in the mirror bracket. For the top mounting points, I drilled 6 mm holes in the doors, at the very top, above the rubber weather-strip. I used very short 6 mm. bolts and nuts to attach the upper brackets. I had to shorten the tubular horizontal struts to bring the mirrors in as close as possible to the doors. The lower struts are shortened a lot more than the uppers to keep the mirrors vertical.

Actually, I did this twice. The first set I got were $20.00 per pair and got rusty as can be after the first winter. The second pair I got were stainless steel and were only $40.00. I can't remember if it was $40.00 each or per pair.

I was extremely pleased with these mirrors, they looked very good, and the field of vision was greatly improved. The only thing that keeps me from doing the same to my current 91 is the electric mirrors that still work.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh, Pa. wnsopc3@3rdm.net