Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Aug 1999 14:24:33 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Proper Peen nut adjustment-front rotors?

Hello--

I'm pretty sure I had over tightend the peen nut on the front wheels when I replaced the bearings. Hence the other day I smelled "hot" and the front right wheel itself was hot. I checked the bearings and they they were spent, bent even.(I'm not completely incompitent. But I'm pretty sure I over torqued the peen nut slightly or so.)

I just replaced the bearings (both sides assuming I over torqued both and to avoid trouble) and followed Bently to a "T". I could slightly move the trush washer with a screw driver, without prying with the peen nut snug then backed off. Then I peened the nut.

I just drove about an hour and the right front wheel is hot again. Hotter than the left front. I could hold my hand on it without having to pull it away because the heat was too much--which with the spent bearing got too hot to touch above a count of 6. I tried to move the thrush washer with the screw driver just now with the car on the ground (not jacked) , but couldn't unless I pryed a little. Now the whole thing must expand when it's hot. I suspect the thrush washer might get a little tight during use.

My question is how tight is tight or loose. Should this thrush washer move freely with substantial play when it's cold. Or do I adjust it hot? I suspect I adjusted it too tight again--but I also fear adjusting it too loose.

And that little bit of peen keeps that nut on, huh? That's a little frightening. I kind of liked the old kotter pin set up on the beetles.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. I just replaced the front wheel bearings because the old were spent and