Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:27:36 -0700
From:         Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: engine swap

Hi Eric

I just recently had installed FastForward's conversion kit using an 89 Audi 2.0L. It sits upright as David said in his posting. The crossmember with Audi mounts designed by David works great and is really simple. One piece and 6 bolts, new holes have to be drilled to attach it. The original WBX crossmember will still fit to accommodate the skid plate. The deck lid has to be modified, basically a 3" hut. This is not a problem for me since my syncro is a Kombi, (empty inside except for the 2 front seats)but easily incorporated into a raised bed or storage slots on either side etc. As you know an adapter plate and flywheel are necessary to use with the WBX bellhousing, clutch and pressure plate. This is available from FastForward as well as the plug-in wiring harness, depending on the type of FI system you use, CIS or CIS-E. My system is CIS-E. I don't know if David does a harness for the Motronic setup, you would have to ask. If you want more specifics, just ask, specfic questions would be easier to answer. I'm quite pleased with the swap, more power, longer rpm range, and easy to work on. Not to mention that parts for this engine are easy to obtain from your local FLAR. More on this after I get the new exhaust system installed, which is going in tomorrow. Good luck with your swap.

EMZ wrote: > > All these engine swap......and not enough info. > Every engine swap is different. I'm in the middle of one myself, but > it does no good to read about a swap with a bell housing change on > a diesel angle, in a 2 wheel drive, because I'm putting this engine > in a Syncro, up right, with an adapter. The engine will be some type of > inline 4 cyl. VW engine. So lets try to be a little more specific. > Now has anyone have any input to my swap. > Syncro with adapter, at 15 deg. .... > > Eric 86-VW4x4 > vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z > Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler

-- R.Feuerriegel 88 syncro