Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:45:17 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      FS:Vanagon air-cooled engine
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Hi all:

I purchased this Vanagon engine, stamped with engine number CV001001, from GEX International in October 1996 and installed it in my Vanagon. First startup was 11/6/96. The engine was installed with all cooling tin in place and with a working thermostat/flaps setup. I did the first start up according to Tom Wilson: 20 minutes at 2,000 rpm, then an oil and filter change. I continued the break in per the book for the next 300 miles - moderate acceleration and deceleration cycles - and again changed the oil and filter. The next oil and filter change was at 1,000 miles, and then every 3,000 miles thereafter. At approximately 100 miles from startup I had the timing and fuel mixture professionally checked and I monitored both regularly thereafter.

The car is basically an "around town" and commute car and was never subjected to long, heavily loaded runs or ever put in a situation of overheating. Despite the generally poor reputation of GEX on the lists I was convinced I had purchased a good engine, and even said as much in a post to the Vanagon list. (Post dated May 12, 1999 titled "Re: Rebuilds, was: Mechanic Horror Stories.")

Whatever gods extract their revenge for hubris stuck me on June 26th: on a cool morning, about a mile from my home, the engine suddenly quit! Subsequent teardown revealed that the head of the #1 exhaust had snapped off, destroying the piston and head. The engine had 28,506 miles on it.

GEX, to their credit, took back the engine and repaired it as a goodwill gesture. As I was rebuilding 2 Vanagon engines in any case, I installed one of them in my Vanagon, and it's the repaired GEX engine - which I received yesterday - that I'm selling.

The "no charge" invoice that accompanied the engine lists the following items:

Part Order Shipped Number Description Quantity Quantity

GL071198009 GSKT SET VAN 1 1 HE071371A/AX HEAD RBLT T2 2.0 2 2 PN02198075BR PSTN SET 94 OE 1 1 BR021198481A BR MAIN ST/ST 1 1 BR021198541 BR CAM ST 411 1 1 ME021109335C/T PUSH ROD TUBE 8 8

Given the parts list above and the fact that the case has been completely repainted I'd say that they did a complete teardown and rebuild, BUT I DON'T REPRESENT IT AS SUCH. I can tell you my history with the engine and I can tell you what GEX (via their invoice) has said they've done to the engine, but I make no guarantees or warrantees in any way, shape, or form.

I'm selling this engine as a longblock, complete with flywheel. Since I removed the flywheel before shipping the block to GEX the flywheel is currently unattached. I could either attach the flywheel (and check endplay for you) or you can do it yourself, as you prefer.

The engine is boxed and palletized and could be shipped, though I'd prefer a SF Bay Area sale to someone who would come and get it at my house. (The engine is easily lifted by 2 people and boxed and palletized is 33" x 19" x 20".)

Selling price is $500, plus shipping.

I'll offer it to the lists for a couple of weeks, then put it on eBay with a modest reserve. If you think the price is too high, wait a while and you can steal it via eBay. If anybody wants to see the GEX invoice I will email it to you.

Also, if this post sparks anther GEX flame session, I'd sure prefer it be done NOT as a reply to my post.

Thanks.