Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:47:09 -0700
From:         Stephen Arbaugh <sneakers@OZ.NET>
Subject:      Re: dim headlights

I got a quad grill from Ken at Vanagain.com (http://www.vanagain.com/). There's a picture of it on his web page. Installation was pretty easy, couple holes for the driving lights, a bit of wiring, and done. I also did what Dave suggested, put in H4 headlights with higher wattage bulbs, and my driving lights have 100watt bulbs as well, so enough light on the road is never a problem. Because of the high watt bulbs, I can't use the driving lights around other traffic, but there's usually enough light around there anyway, but on dark empty roads, this combination lights up the county. I do need to install a couple more relays to handle the H4's, but thats pretty easy to do, I just need to do it. Eventually I'll have a couple pictures on my web site.

Even just replacing your regular sealed beams with H4's, using standard wattage bulbs, might make a difference because of the beam pattern the H4's throw, much better than sealed beams, IMHO. Again, if you use hi-watt bulbs, you'll want to put relays in to carry the current: the headlight switch/dimmer is maxed out with standard wattage (mine should have melted by now)...

steve '85 westy kent, wa

At 10:16 AM 08/11/1999 -0400, you wrote: >>I'm picturing heavy "off-road" style quasi-cow-catcher for the front end of >>the van. Is this accurate? What all does this "grille" include? Do you >>know if there are any still available? Am I asking too many questions? ;-) > >No. This is a direct bolt in replacement for the upper grille on vanagons >with the round lights and even squares can use it with a little conversion. >Ask on the list if anyone has one for sale. It includes a grille and >driving lights to mount inboard of the regular headlamps. When you couple >the driving lights with the round e-code H-4's it's a powerful setup. >Later, > >Dave & Sherrie >Williamsburg, VA > zzzzzzzzzz__ > |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ > | _DC&SP | _ || >* * * =-( )---------( )--=