Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:46:35 -0400
From:         Steve Elfelt <steveelf@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re Gas tank removal

There are fuel expansion tanks above and on both sides of my 84 vanagon tank. On each side there is a rubber grommet with a plastic Y-tube in it. One branch of the Y goes to the expansion tank on that side, and the other branches connect to each other via tubing. One of my Y thingies just came apart spontaneously while I was filling the tank. When I got down to fixing it, I found the other one was cracked as were the gaskets. I have long arms, and gained access by removing the front wheels and of course blocking up the front end well. Removal of the tank was NOT necessary. But I tried that first. It was quite heavy, even empty, and I had no jacks at the time to help with reinstallation. Try the wheel-removal thing first unless you have other concerns that really require tank removal.

I can't remember if I jammed the new Y thingie through the new gasket with the gasket installed on the tank, or whether I first put the gasket on the Y thingie. Whichever it was, it was pretty tight getting both pieces in place. Patience and fumbling.

Oh yeah....... try to clean all the sand from the whole area to keep it out your hair and eyes and gas tank.... so do the cleaning BEFORE you have the old parts removed and the gaping holes ready to catch the debris. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Steve

[text/html]