Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:46:33 PDT
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The little red light (a little bit long)

Kate.

I do not pretend to know why the little red light is pestering you. This is indeed a very deep question.

However, I HAVE just had some interesting experiences with the little red light, including a great on-the-road fix from Jerry at J&R VW vans, so I will pass them on for what they are worth. Any correct use of technical terms on my part is remarkable. I trust that others on the list will correct/illuminate where necessary.

First, as far as I know, the ONLY reason the little red light will flash with the engine running AND the coolant temperature in the NORMAL RANGE is that the coolant level in the MAIN tank (the one you have to remove the engine cover to see -- NOT the expansion tank you can see behind the license plate)is low. The owners manual states this clearly.......(Happily, in my '91 Vanagon, the light/sensor appeared to 'reset' each time I turned off the ignition -- flashing when I turned on the ignition, going out once the engine started, and then coming on again after the engine was running ONLY IF the coolant level in the main tank was low.)

So...twice after long periods of highway driving and then a rest, the light would start flashing. The expansion tank was full, but the main tank was almost empty! So the fix worked like this: get everything you need to add fluid to the main tank ready in the back with the engine cover removed. This might include water (remember, on the road 'emergency' -- I used Crystal Geyser!), a pair of pliers to loosen the clamp/hose on the main tank cap, and some kind of device (eg a pen or your right hand if you are ambidextrous) to hold the throttle open. Start the engine and use the pen to get the engine at about 2200 rpm.(I actually was around 2000 and it worked)Only then remove the hose/cap and add water to fill up the main tank. Replace the cap/hose and remove the pen. DONE.

This worked BEAUTIFULLY for me. The coolant level normalized in the main tank, the little red light went off, and (in my case) I could trust that I could keep driving since I could periodically check the expansion tank and knew I could trust the light to tell me if the main tank got low again....which it DID on my next trip but THIS time I had bought official VW coolant (ha!) and used THAT to fill up the main tank.

I assume this all happened because of air in my cooling system (below) but I don't know. Anyway, everything is still fine over 500 miles (and a long camping trip with many different driving conditions) later!

I know there are some potential dangers in doing this procedure wrong and that the cooling system is nothing to mess with if you don't know what you're doing. I hope someone will comment constructively on this, and in particular why it is so crucial to have the rpms up before opening the cap etc.

I don't fully understand this procedure: I just know that it worked for ME.....AND gave me some confidence that I could get more involved with the engine and make semi-substantive emergency repairs if necessary......As to why the little red light is pestering YOU -- well this only you can know -- if indeed it is knowable at all!

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Tony '91 Syncro Westy ('Teepee')