Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:50:36 EDT
From:         Michael Modl <Modl6971@AOL.COM>
Subject:      The repair for,,, 93 Eurovan Dies During Constant Highway Driving
Comments: To: webbd@hoffman.army.mil

In a message dated 8/12/99 8:14:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time, webbd@HOFFMAN.ARMY.MIL writes:

<< I've suddenly been having a problem with my 93 Eurovan, and my VW dealer so far hasn't been able to help me. So I was hoping someone on this list may recognize ths problem, since the symptoms are very distinctive.

My 93 Eurovan (45k miles) has always been very reliable. But on a recent long trip it began dying on the highway without warning. The circumstances are always the same: after an hour or more of constant-speed highway driving it will suddenly and without warning lose all power, so I have to coast to a stop on the highway shoulder. The engine does not stall out. If I turn it off for a few minutes and start it back up, I have always been able to drive away okay without further problem.

This is apparently a known problem with some non-Eurovan VWs (including Vanagons), as I have found a description of it online, as well as a standard fix. Here is the fix that is prescribed:

" Some VW cars have a mass air flow sensor that vibrates the potentiometer arm during extended driving at constant speeds. The resonance causes the mass air flow sensor to send an intermittent signal to the ECU. The ECU will default to a no load signal and reduce injector open time. To remedy this problem install a damper/converter (p/n 025-906-302A) between the wiring harness and the mass air flow sensor connector."

(from Automotive Machine & Supply, Inc website)

My VW dealer says he is familiar with this problem and the fix, but has not yet seen it in a Eurovan (except mine). So he is trying to get VW to investigate and come up with a fix. But it's been a while and VW so far has nothing to offer in the way of a solution.

Has anyone on this list had this problem with sudden power loss at constant highway driving? Does VW have a Eurovan fix for this comparable to the fix for their other cars?

Thanks very much for any help with this.

--Dennis Webb '93 Eurovan '77 Microbus '70 Green Beetle '67 Red Beetle