Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:38:33 -0600
From:         "Groff, Montgomery" <Montgomery.Groff@ECHOSTAR.COM>
Subject:      '89 Dometic Fridge help needed

Volks,

The fridge in our Westy has developed a problem. It won't cool when using propane. The first thing I did was search the archives and ftp site. I found

plenty of great info. I also have a copy of the Dometic manual. The next step was to check all of the posted info and manual troubleshooting stuff. So, I pulled the fridge out of the van and went completely through it. Everything seems to be in order. What did I miss?? Here's a list of what I did: 1. Plug into 120V. the fridge cools great. I even makes ice! 2. Run on 12V. cools but not well. 3. Fire up the propane. I get a flame but no cooling at all. The fins are at

ambient temp. 4. Pull the fridge. a. Removed the jet. Found no blockage. Cleaned it with alcohol. b. Removed the bottom plate on the burner. No gunk inside. c. Cleaned the flu. No gunk inside. 5. Fire up the propane again. The burner and flu get hot, but the fins on the back of the fridge don't.

My understanding of the operation of the fridge lead me to believe that whether you are running on propane or 120V the same boiler is utilized. So, why would it heat up (the boiler) and cool the fridge with 120V and not propane?

Any help is appreciated. We are usually bouncing around in the backcountry and rely heavily on the propane to keep stuff cool.

Monty '89 Westy '62 Sunroof Bug