Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:00:46 -0400
From:         Jim Cain <jcain@ATL.MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy refrigerator removal
Comments: To: Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>

Steve Macaulay wrote: >...I'm getting ready to remove my 89 Westy's refrigerator to add a fan. ...Any tricks to make it easier? I remember hearing somewhere that it is easy to take out, but hard to get back in....

The following is based on 1985 Westy:

It is hard to get out AND hard to get back in (my 85 Westy, anyway) ...the first time. After that it is not so hard as tedious.

My tips are to be sure that the outside vent connection is not hanging up on the body or the cabinet as you pull it out. It is stiff so does not bend easily, but there is enough give to work it loose. You will need to wiggle it several times during the removal process. Be sure to disconnect ALL the wires and gas line. I found that it was easiest to remove the drawer from the cabinet and work from the drawer opening for the disconnection. Remove the refrigerator door and door frame 1st. then remove the two screws on each side. They are inside the cabinets on left/right sides. Also try to pull the bottom out first and sort of tilt the bottom out and slide the top down before pulling it out. Hard to describe in words, but it will not slide straight out. You have to work it out and down at the same time. Have some blocks, 3" high or so, ready to set it on when it comes out because it will not sit flat. I rigged an extension hose so that I could run it from the LP tank while it was out to try to troubleshoot. Used an old flexible faucet hose and some connectors from the hardware store. Wouldn't trust it for too long, but for seeing if it will light without putting it back in, it was ok. Good luck and have fun...

Herbie, 85 Westy in Atlanta