Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:17:23 -1000
From:         Russell Kackley <kackley@ALOHA.NET>
Subject:      86 Vanagon with head gasket leak

Aloha, list members,

This is my first messge to the list, although I have been reading the archives for a few weeks. I am looking for any advice that list members can offer me on my '86 Vanagon with a head gasket leak that is allowing combustion gases into the coolant.

The reason I say it has a head gasket leak is as follows: 1. Test with Cal-Van Leak Check Detector showed color change from blue to yellow

2. Coolant is frequently pumped from expansion tank to refill tank and does not siphon back into expansion tank when motor cools.

3. Removing expansion tank cap, even with cold motor, releases a lot of gas pressure and coolant level sometimes overflows due to pressure in system.

4.Loosening expansion tank cap with hot engine allows lots of foam to spill out, like a head on a beer.

The motor has 137000 miles on it. Both heads were replaced with new OEM heads at about 78000 miles when coolant was noticed seeping external to heads. The cylinders were honed and new rings installed at that time. Having been through this once, I wasn't looking forward to doing it again. I had been using only VW coolant and changing it once each year, so I didn't expect to have this happen, but I guess I have had some bad luck.

As I see it, my options are as follows: 1. Replace the heads gaskets and/or heads 2. Rebuild the entire engine top to bottom because of the mileage 3. Trade my engine for a remanufactured engine 4. Sell the van and give up.

Other than the heads, the van is in pretty good shape.

Another problem I have is that, living in Hilo, Hawaii, access to Vanagon experts is somewhat limited. There is one mechanic in Hilo who specializes in VW's but I am not sure I know him well enough to give him a big job like this. There is a VW dealer, but it is a 2 hour drive away, on the other side of the island, making it inconvenient in case something goes wrong with the job. Any opinions on whether to go with independent mechanic or VW dealer?

Any help will be appreciated.

Russell Kackley Hilo, Hawaii