Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:23:07 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Re: dim headlights - also Rear fog lights
Comments: To: Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>

> Does anyone know if the rear lights on the US > vehicles can be modded to support the Euro-style fog lights? >

Hello Pete,

Perhaps another listmember can tell you how do actually do this, but it is my understanding that you can use the extra slot that is behind one of the red reflectors in the tail light assembly. This slot is for the Euro-style rear red driver's side fog light. My understanding is that if you add the "missing" bulb socket (along with a bulb - don't know which type or wattage), you should be able to wire it up to your switch.

This is something I plan on doing to my van one day. The hardest part about this setup may be in locating the proper bulb socket. Bus Depot lists a part on their website - bulb socket, tail lens, left, Vanagon $53.95 251 945 257A. I think it is what you and I need, but it seems kind of pricey for what I think it is. Anybody know where one can be found or if it is something easy to fabricate?

Again I could be mistaken, but I believe that the tail light assembly may already be pre-wired for the rear fog light. This is something I was planning on looking into when I do this. I'm hoping there is an existing wire somewhere up front that I just need to hook up to the switch. I'm hoping the whole job is just putting in a socket and bulb and hooking the switch into an existing wire. That's what I am hoping at least. If not, running a wire from the switch to the rear light should be no big deal.

Thanks,

Steve

89 Westy