Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Aug 1999 19:23:59 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      HELP - Oil light says on!

Volks,

I have a very fustrating problem. The oil light stays on in my 84 Westie when ever the RPM is over 1500 RPM. A little back ground on the camper.

1985 Jetta Carat Engine, good compression @ 170, 170, 190, 170 Castrol GTX 20w50 oil with less than 2000km very clean and it looks and feels like good oil. Bosch Oil Filter. One lifter starting to get noisy when cold... (sounds like the #3 cylinder with 190 PSI compression).

First thing I though was bad high pressure sender. So I replaced it. Still the same problem. Digging into the bentley manual I read that the white sender on top of the oil filer assembly goes to ground when the oil pressure is above 1.8BAR (~25PSI). So I let the van idle until the rad fan went on once (get the oil to running temp) and took an oil pressure reading with an electric VDO oil pressure gauge "stolen" from a 84 Rabbit GTI. I installed the oil pressure sender in the head where the low pressure sender usually goes. At 2000 RPM the pressure was 30 PSI which is to spec with the manuals minumum of 28 PSI. Revving it up to 4000 RPM brings the pressure to a little over 40PSI. At an 800 RPM idle the pressure is aprox 15 to 18 PSI. All of which is in spec. So, I figure dud sender so I took the yellow wire off the sender and grounded it. Voila! No more oil pressure light. So, two bad senders? I took my test light and attached it to 12V and touched the sender at idle, no light, seeing how we are aprox 15 PSI of oil, this is OK. Revving the engine to 1500 RPM turns on the light - great! the sender works... but wait a minute, why not with the wire attached? So I attached the yellow wire again. The light is on during the higher rpms indicating that the sender is working with the wire attached. Hmm, grounding the yellow wire to the cylinder head and the light goes out tough... so, what gives? Bad ground to the top of the oil filter assembly? Help!

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --