Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:24:10 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Clever! was: Check out this Westy
Comments: To: "Steve@Schwenk-Law.com" <Steve@Schwenk-Law.com>

Now before everyone goes stomping on this GTRV thing, has anyone driven one or owned one? I think it looks pretty clever. Everytime I see a big Ford Econoline van, I think about the unique possibilities in what this company has achieved.

Granted, I LOVE our VW Westy, and this Econoline thing could never replace it. But GTRV seems to have cured many of the ills of the VW without being substantially horrible. I would like to see how well engineered/quality of fit and finish before I drew hasty conclusions. The base van, the ford Econoline is rugged and solidly built. It looks like the designers of the camping gear did a good job of designing as a small yacht, ala Westfalia, rather than as a small house, ala Win-or-beg-o. Except that tacky apartment style kitchen faucet and the stupid microwave...what's up with that?

If it is built as durably as our Westy, and costs in the "high $30's" as advertised, I wouldn't be so quick to blow it off.

Please issue receipts for $.02.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Steve@Schwenk-Law.com [SMTP:Steve@Schwenk-Law.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 2:12 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Fwd: Check out this Westy

Obviously, there are not 30 years of engineering tied up in that thing like with the real westies...just baltant copying of the concept. they got the concept, but missed the soul. that van has no soul. mine has lots! So does yours, of course.

Scott Davis wrote: > > ------------------------------------------------------- > > Subject: Re: Check out this Westy > Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:42:30 EDT > From: OuiSki1@aol.com > To: wjohnson@TCSN.NET > > In a message dated 8/16/99 9:19:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > wjohnson@TCSN.NET writes: > > << http://www.gtrv.com/ >> > I dunno, Wes, maybe it's just me, but somehow drivin around in a fancied-up > Econoline just doesn't seem enough like "fahrfegnugen" to make the switch! > > S.Davis