Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:59:30 -0400
From:         karl <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Newbie/ Syncro Westie Diesel Conversion Questions
Comments: cc: Kevin & Lisa Sellitti <virtual-angst@HOME.COM>

I have recently converted a Syncro Westy waterboxer to a 1.9 TD, and in the near future will be also going with the TDI. The best start is to find either a diesel Vanagon for parts, or get the oil pan, pump pickup tube, mounts, clutch, flywheel, starter, and bell housing from one. I believe '82 and '83 were the only years they were sold here. To convert using the diesel bellhousing you will also need a Syncro TD fuel tank which is available from Europe, through your VW parts dept. OR, you can use an adapter plate. One benefit to the Syncro TD tank / diesel bellhousing is that the starter is now much more accessible. The left engine support will need to be modified or fabricated. Mike Sullivan is also doing this swap into a Syncro, I believe with a special Winkler TDI install kit, he would of great assistance also. I believe the stock TDI intercooler can be made to work, however sufficient airflow could be a problem. One idea I have is to build a 'refridgerated' intercooler, using the AC pump to cool the intercooler since my van doesn't have AC anyway, and the pump is already mounted to my TDI engine. And you are correct, the van will have phenomenal pulling power with the TDI ! Plan on also changing the 3rd and 4th gear ratios in the transmission, or adding taller tires, to take advantage of the TDI's torque characteristics. Good luck in you quest !

Karl '87 Syncro Westy 1.9 TD (currently undergoing surgery for a new heart)

----- Original Message ----- From: Kevin & Lisa Sellitti <virtual-angst@HOME.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 11:51 AM Subject: Newbie/ Syncro Westie Diesel Conversion Questions