Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:23:52 -0700
From:         "Penberthy, Thomas" <TPenberthy@CREATIVEPRO.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Adventurwagen Syncro Re: possibly interesting vehicle for
              sale in Tucson
Comments: To: "JordanVw@AOL.COM" <JordanVw@AOL.COM>

If this is the one in Salem, OR, I went and looked at it.

1. Not teak, Oak. (my family has been into lumber for my whole life. "Sawdust in my veins, and all that") 2. At least 8 different digital panels (aftermarket of course) line the visor area displaying tach, speedo, combustion temp, etc. Most didn't work at all, but there was weird wiring all over the engine. 3. Test drive (15 minutes). I killed it going up a steep hill, turned the key and rrrRRRrur....rrrRRRrrur. Turned the key back. Gulped. Tried again, and it started. Whew. But scary. 4. CV boots all but gone, joints dry as a bone. 5. Likewise the boot around shift linkage (?) -where the long shifter bar meets the transmission 6. Turning a tight...left I think it was...resulted in a knock....knock...knock...knock. Going the other way all was quiet. 7. It has a diff lock, which seemed to work. 8. Three extra batteries, but at that point I didn't care to try and figure out how they were wired in. Under the bench in the back. 9. Exhaust pipe like swiss cheese.

It scared me (could you tell?). All that wiring. All those Radio Shack / Heath Kit looking digital readouts. The state of the undercarriage.

I was digging the idea of the tall roof, though. Being able to be asleep in the car and nobody knows you're there? Cool. Being able to toss stuff up there? Cool.

It has a porch light outside. There are lights in the "upstairs."

Don't get me wrong. If you're the type who knows cars and loves campers and you have a lot of time and money, this unit could be GREAT. Please just don't go in all starry-eyed and write your check based solely on the love this monster will elicit on face value.

//end of rant.

Tom

-----Original Message----- From: JordanVw@AOL.COM [mailto:JordanVw@AOL.COM] Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 11:22 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: '87 Adventurwagen Syncro Re: possibly interesting vehicle for sale in Tucson