Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:05:30 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      FS - 90 Syncro, Vibes, hard leaving stop w/wheels hard over

Hi, list -

Just did an inspection on a 90 Syncro which is for sale by a private owner, and I'm posting this on his behalf. I wanted to buy the thing myself, but I don't have the cash right now. Here's the scoop:

$5,900 90 Syncro, 139K, 7-passenger van w/ 2 rear facing rear seats; very clean, inside and out (just a couple of very minor dents - not in the usual places - repairable by a "paintless" dent remover I'm sure). Has the Ronal 5X112 Mercedez wheels, 2-tone black/silver. Needs a set of front tires (he may get them out of the wheel place before the sale). Needs a windshield. Mirrors are not original, but smaller black aftermarket replacements - look neat but a little wiggly. Options include only AC and power steering. PS pump is new ZF, rack not leaking but original. No HC in coolant, no leaks, compressions 145-165. Engine is VW Canada rebuilt installed at 80K. Transmission is one year old rebuilt by an East Bay shop not known to me. Documents available.

There is a bit of a vibration at certain RPM ranges - felt like trans or front diff. It accelerates very hard out of a stop with the wheels cranked. I've felt this with Syncros before, but this seems a bit severe. What's the List Wisdom on this?

Has great power, although it's got the DFant hesitation bug, when it's cold. After it warms up it's quite perky. Probably gonna turn out to be temp sensor, O2 sensor, AF meter, timing, mixture adjustment or idle stabilizer (aren't you glad I narrowed that down?). Nice ride, all in all.

I'll be happy to send contact info about this to anyone interested - I don't have the guy's number here at work, so it'll take a few hours. It's not advertized anywhere yet.

Coby Smolens, Owner Valley Wagonworks "Intimately acquainted with VW Vans since 1959" 1535 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. San Anselmo, CA 94960 Phone: (415) 457-5628 Fax: (415) 457-0967 http//:wagonworks.com mailto:contact@wagonworks.com