Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:58:28 EDT
From:         Roger&Zoe Ann Banker <Vantaztik@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Adventurwagen Syncro Re: possibly interesting vehicle
              for...
Comments: To: lindgre@online.no

We are sorry to report that we do not have a picture to show of our Adventurewagen, we haven't yet progressed to putting photos on computer. A picture was computerized by someone else when we went on a group trip, but we no longer recall the details, perhaps they will see this and respond. You can contact Ed Anderson of Adventurewagen in Fort Bragg, CA. He still does repairs and used consignment sales. He also did these conversions on the short chassis Ford Econoline when the Vanagon quit production. We think the conversion is the best, but it won't fit in the garage. BTW, oak cabinetry was standard, teak was optional, and the best was Hawaiian koa, when it was available. As for our conversion to a 5 cylinder, we are very sorry to report that we have canceled our order. Although a 2.2 liter conversion was successfully done for Mark Drillock, after much delay the 2.3 engine that we wanted could not be made to perform satisfactorily. We really wanted the 130 hp with lots of low end torque, but Detlev couldn't work out the bugs in a previous 2.3 conversion, and could not promise satisfactory performance. We can't do the work ourselves, and it doesn't seem worth the money to spend many thousands more for a 2.2 conversion that only has slightly more power than a good rebuilt wasserboxer. So we will continue to use our engine with the compression leak in one head, it still gets us around without overheating. When it breaks, we will consider a rebuilt replacement. Any experience out there with raising the compression or increasing the displacement? We want more low end power, so we aren't interested in mods such as cams and valve work.