Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 1999 08:13:48 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Staying Clean & Flywheel Resurfacing
Comments: To: Randy Huyck <Fritz_H@MSN.COM>

Randy, the dirty accountant,

If you have 187k on the flywheel it is a VERY good idea to have it resurfaced.

At least on the type4 motors, (I don't know it is the same on the WB) you can alternatively lock the flywheel by inserting a fat screwdriver through the timing hole in the block into one of the vent holes around the back periphery of the flywheel. Have a helper hold the screw driver while you use a strong socket & long breaker bar to release the flywheel, which is torqued (again, T4) to 80+ lb/ft.

As far as the cleanliness thing goes, there are a couple tricks that help. First, ALWAYS powerwash the underside of the van before working on it. I usually do this every few months, just to keep it free of road grime, but always use a thorough degreaser/powerwash in the areas I will work in... Second, buy a set of military mechanic's coveralls, and a cotton bandana (do-rag, drug helmet, gang flag). The bandana may make you look like a wash-up, but your head will be clean when you are done. The coveralls have lots of pockets, thick material to protect your skin, and at the end of your task, you can strip them off and be bodily clean. After a half-day soaking in laudry soap/degreaser, they come spakling clean for the next go-around. Finally, but a couple dozen vinyl/latex? mechanic's gloves. These will keep your hands clean, and also offer some protection from burns and scrapes on your delicate, money-counting hands. Best o' luck on the flywheel job.

Cheers,

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Randy Huyck [SMTP:Fritz_H@MSN.COM] Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 1:34 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Flywheel Resurfacing

In the middle of replacing the clutch on my '85. How crucial is it that I have the flywheel resurfaced? If it is crucial, how do I remove the blasted thing? Is it common to be able to rent the flywheel locking tool they show in the Bentley? It's 10:30PM right now, so I can't exactly call the rental shops.

On a side note, this is the messiest job I've performed on any of my VW's, ever. It's as though all 187,000 miles worth of dirt on the bottom of the van, engine, and transmission have been transferred to my skin. I am now the greasiest accountant in the free world, and that's saying something...

Randy, Carla & Anna Huyck, Olympia, WA '75 Rustfalia '85 Vanagon GL '90 Fox GL