Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:59:44 +0000
From:         Rob Lebo <robl@REDLION-CONTROLS.COM>
Subject:      COLD START WOES (long)

Hi to all and thanks in advance for your help in solving my cold start problem in my '91 Carat 2.1L. Symptoms: Engage the key to start...engine turns over strong several times but no combustion. Turn key off and try again...engine starts up but at an almost stall idle, then after a few seconds idle rises to spec 900 RPM. May have to do this 2-3X. Feather the gas pedal and it stalls. If I try to drive after start-up it tries to stall again. This time feathering the pedal helps keep it running. After warm-up all is well. No problems restarting and no hesitation. Things I've done so far: New Temp 2 sensor, new platnum plugs, oil and filter, idle stabilizer valve removed, cleaned, and verified as operational by hot wiring to 12VDC and checked again with the engine running, Air Flow Meter cap removed and resistive trace cleaned, resistance changes over full range of travel, idle switch adjusted to spec..ie. .0025"-.004" gap and switch is closed (verified with voltmeter)operation verified with a hot and cold engine, new oxygen sensor (out of the loop at start-up anyway). I also checked the engine vacuum with the gage hooked up to the fuel vacuum distribution thing on top of the engine and have 10 PSI at idle. Is this OK?? Also cleaned the throttle body butterfly (wasn't dirty), checked vacuum hoses and all looked OK, new battery installed. Timing, coil spark KV was verified as correct on a diagnostic machine as well as the funtion of the Temp 2 sensor (timing goes way out when disconnected on a running engine and goes back to spec when reconnected). Distributor cap, rotor and wires have about 25K miles on them. Cleaned a little pitting on the rotor, cap looks clean. The only thing I haven't done is clean ground wire connections and ground strap to the engine. Has anyone done all I have done so far and found that ground connections were the root of the problem?? I bought some electrical connector grease and will use it after cleaning the ground connectors I can find. Where are they located in the 2.1L? The vanagon runs great and gets good gas mileage, no other problems other than the cold start. Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks Rob Lebo York, PA