Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:40:23 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: bad head gaskets, not: bad mechanic???
Comments: To: gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com

I agree with Bulley. I mean when you replace head gaskets or even an engine, there are times when you just let the van sit and idle to see if it comes up to temperature properly, cycles the fan, etc. On a van with no exsisting coolant leaks, and good head gaskets you will have no problem letting it idle for as long as you want.

I always try to keep a good eye on the temp gauge when we are doing warm ups though, to note if the temp gauge is rising too high or whatever and avert disaster. I wouldn't be too hasty to point fingers and talk about going to court about head gaskets blowing. Especially when it is a well documented problem, and the head gaskets are considered a wear item.

I remember when I worked as a valet and a guy came in with a Saab with 250k miles on it with original motor, clutch, etc. We parked his car and then later on when he took it out for dinner he came back and said that we had "broken" his clutch. The clutch had died and he tried to blame us. We said he should be happy that his clutch lasted 250k miles (especially on a Saab!) and that we were sorry but there was nothing we could do. He called the cops and tried to file and accident report! One of the cops laughed at him. The other (more mechanically savvy) found that the man had a broken hydraulic line, and when they repaired the line and added brake fluid, the clutch began to work again! Needless to say the man made himself look like a complete idiot.

Moral is don't jump the gun on this one. Talk it over with the mechanic. Ask him exactly what he did. Maybe call the Better Business Bureau and ask them if he has had other problems, but don't call the law in on this one until you can do so confidently and have all the facts straight. Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16