Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 1999 16:40:17 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia and "Weekender" Differences?
Comments: To: Brian.Mifsud@AM.APBIOTECH.COM

At 13:12 8/18/99 -0800, Brian Mifsud wrote: >1) How many people can be safely (legally) carried in a Westfalia?

Two forward, three aft (but they'd better be friends). It is possible to install a removable two-person center seat from a 7-passenger, but what would be aisle space in the 7-pass. is taken up by the furniture, so access is a bit cramped. But the seats are available, easily removable, not too heavy.

>2) What is "standard" equipment on a Westfalia Vanagon as far as >interior/camping gear?

Both front seats rotate although driver seat rotation is not very practical. Two tables on extension arms, one just aft of the driver seat and one at the after end of the stove. Two-burner propane stove with (except Canadian) drainboard to sink housed inside cover, miniscule 3-way (110/12/propane) refrigerator, ten lb capacity propane ASME (motor-home type) tank, sink with direct drain to ground (garden hose connection), 50 liter water tank w/ electric sink pump, city-water connection, 110v connection with duplex outlet in pantry for refrigerator and second duplex in living compartment, circuit breaker by that outlet. Food locker, two dish lockers, one small deep locker (spray cans etc), closet big enough for 3-4 suits or equivalent with some space below, overhead shallow locker w/ 20# limit, vertical locker in rear with two shelves, small-stuff stowage overhead along entire left side, shallow overhead shelf at rear. Locker under rear seat, partially obstructed by aux. heater. Rear seat makes double berth, second double berth in poptop. No head, but a small portapotti fits well behind front passenger seat, ready to use by pulling aft a few inches, also doubles as ottoman and emergency jump seat (portapotti not supplied, in case that wasn't clear).

>4) Home Improvement now and then requires the fabled 4x8 sheet of plywood >test, is this feasbily INSIDE

Yes. No. Depends on how you look at it. It will fit, at a slant, but takes care and finesse to avoid chafing the furniture. I've only put in one, but I don't recall any reason why two or three would not fit. Not at all like the 7-pass where you just flop it in (and another six on top).

>5) I'm a Porsche 914 owner and know the possibilities for V-8 Convertions >for that car, what is the most popular way > of boosting the juice in a Vanagon these days?

JATO bottles <g>.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"