Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:58:56 -0400
From:         Paul Schiemer <schiemer@MAGICNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: bad mechanic / head gasket failure

> Sounds to me like your van was a ticking time bomb, and it just happened to > blow on your mechanic. Not his fault. Most any mechanic worth his salt > would have warmed the van up the same way.

Actually a good mechanic will get a vehicle to temp by driving it around the block a few times. He might find other things that need attention in the process, and he can be sure this is the way the owner gets the vehicle to temp (I mean, that IS what you do with a vehicle, right?)

Threatening suit is like pissing in the wind; a bit of relief but you get some on you in the process. Try NEGOTIATION first. Talk with the guy, explain you think it was an error to let it idle for that long. Although you aren't a mechanic, he might see it from your side for a change.

>I suppose that I could have fought the customer, but why? Court time & costs >would have more than outweighed the cost of the repair. Karma said to do the >right thing.

I had a similar thing happen; mechanic instigated part failure. It was an error on his part, but a weak component on my car. He shouldn't have done his 'test' in the way he did, but the part probably would have failed in a few thousand miles anyway. He merely hastened the failure along. Could have gotten a few thousand more miles (ie months of driving) before I had the failure and ultimate repair.

Tried negotiation; didn't work. The guy was adamant about it NOT being his fault. Didn't sue him, just told everyone I knew about what he did (we have a club in the area with 400 members). He tells me, years later, he should have eaten the labor (at least) on the repair. It wasn't worth it in the long run as he has heard a dozen times about the thing he did to my vehicle. He figures it just wasn't worth it to be so proud and defiant.

Not only do I never go back there, I'm all the wiser now for the 'process' of auto mechanic trouble shooting. You gotta be proactive about it (or give in to always being naive about the 'art' of fixing cars!)