Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:04:51 -0400
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      GTRV inspection report

With all the fuss over this conversion on the list lately, when I discovered that a dealer near my house was carrying them, I dropped by to

take a look. Here are my impressions:

Pros: Footprint and height comparable to a Westy. The poptop is totally

concealed and the top fits flush and has a nice roofrack. A little longer and wide than a Westy, therefore with a little extra interior space. Wide selection of colors, both for interior and exterior. They have avoided the use of loud patterns that is so common in the RV idustry and use solid colors. Plusher than I'd prefer but not bad. A Panasonic AC was built into a rear door of all the units on the lot- pretty nice installation.

Very nice lower bed, upper bed OK, better than a Eurobago but not up to Westy standards. Use of striping and general tackiness less than is common with US camper vans, but still not as taseful as a Westy. Mileage claimed is barely less than a Westy, with plenty of power. Can be financed like a motor home with low payments ( lasting forever.) Lower bed is really huge and comfortable.

Cons: Fit and finish are well below Westy quality, though better than most US camper vans I've seen. All units on the lot had microwaves, which I'd

delete in favor of another cabinet. Poptop room is less than a Westy, though better than a Eurobago. Some tacky hooks used to hold things open. Pricey- all units had sticker prices inflated to nearly 50 grand, then discounted about $6000 to sell for around $40-42 grand- well above what the manufacturer's net site suggests, probably because of liberal addition of

pricey options to all units on the lot. No manual transmission available.

4WD available but you have to buy the unit first, then give it up for 2 months to get the 4WD installed.

Overall- I'd still buy a new Westfalia just like my 87 if it were available. With VW basically abandoning the camper market in the US though, I have to say this isn't bad. Lots of Ford vans have blown around me in the mountains, any mechanic will work on one, every parts store has

parts for them. This is one of the few garageable campers on the market that can also serve as a family car. Only the Eurobago and Sportmobile are in this market and this van gives them both a run for their money.

Remember, the Eurobago is pushing up close to 40 grand and the Sportmobile higher yet. The GTRV is much nicer looking than the Sportmobile, a wash with the Eurobago IMHO.

That's one guys thoughts. They're worth what you paid for them. Let the

flames begin!

Bill www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/1706