Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:57:24 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia and "Weekender" Differences?
Comments: To: "Brian.Mifsud@AM.APBIOTECH.COM" <Brian.Mifsud@AM.APBIOTECH.COM>

Brian-

First off, Welcome.

I am a 914er from way back when Reagan was first in office. Sold my last one back in '93, and haven't had a ticket since!

As far as the Vanagon Torque/passing/hill climbing thing...Since you are familiar with the type 4 motor, you may be interested in what I am running in our Westfalia.

Using the stock 2.0 case, I used a counterweighted crank (MSHP), full race-balanced assembly, completely rebuilt heads with the larger 1.7 liter valves/seats, and flat top 96mm hypeutectic pistons (MSHP). Finally, I set up two additional oil coolers (a MESA 24 plate, and a "quick cool" 8 pass) through an OilStat thermostat and 40 feet of copper line leading to and from the front of the van. A Melling high capacity pump is pushing the oil.

The performance is terrific; much better than stock without too much fuss in adapting stuff. It looks completely stock on the outside (uses stock FI, EGR, CAT, etc.) and passes smog inspection.

Let me know if you need details.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Mifsud [SMTP:Brian.Mifsud@AM.APBIOTECH.COM] Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 1999 6:47 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Westfalia and "Weekender" Differences?

<<snip>>>5) I'm a Porsche 914 owner and know the possibilities for V-8 Conversions for that car, what is the most popular way of boosting the juice in a Vanagon these days?<<<snip>>>

Boy, this topic is going to start a flame war for sure :o)

Hope not. I am a new member of the list, but I don't think that raising this topic is restricted in the "rules" section of the mailing list.

This topic is regularly "argued" on the RennList.org (a Porsche Owners email dist list) but the consensus is that it is kosher to discuss it. "Purists" provide the opinions about not altering a car, but are countered by those who wish them well with whatever they would like to do with their cars, and request the same blessings.

My interests in raising the HP levels are with efficiency and economy in mind. Sure a small block Chevy is VERY cheap, but the cost of modifying the chassis (at least a Porsche 914) to safely utilize all that torque makes it a VERY costly enterprise. My goals for a modified Vanagon would be centered around better passing and mountain climbing torque. A small V-6 would be lovely, or even a turbo-diesel. An Audi Turbo I-5 would probably be the "happy" compromise but begs the questions about transaxle torque loads:

What are the torque ratings for a stock Vanagon Transaxle?

Are there any Audi offerings that are better?

Does the aftermarket offer any "beefed" version of the stock unit?

My 901 transaxle in my 914 is known to live with no more than 250ft-lbs max, and certainly not in the weak 1st gear.

thanks,

Brian Mifsud