Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:33:04 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      High  Alt. Tune Up? And 1/2 trip report

Hello all--

I just arrived in Boulder, CO, alt. 5,000 plus feet, from New York City, alt about 0 feet. I had trouble starting my bus last night. It was a bit flooded,( and I helped that happen.) I had used 87 octane gas as opposed to the 89 I usually use, the engine was hot as in just drove 500 miles. Then when it wouldn't start I "gave it some gas". Ooops. I let it sit, pulled the plugs, and and hour later it started.

My buddy here says the gas avaiable here is configured differently and I needed a tank of the high alt. gasoline. ( I love him like a brother, but he doesn't know Jack about cars.)So I filled up and it's not running exactly perfect but seems OK. I'm a bit afraid of not being able to start again at an inopertune moment.

Do I need a high altitiude tune for the 10 days I will spend at this altitude? And is it just the timing that changes or is that mysterious CO2 screw turned as well? Of course I didn't pack my timing light. And I've never figured out what the Idle adjusting screw actually does.

Any infor will be appreciated.

The 2,000 mile trip went well. Very windy pushing me around in Kansas and Missouri.Just turn the wheel a bit into the wind and hold on. The new KYB shocks from the Bus Depotn definately made a difference for the better over last year. But still the wind works that bus.

Having been on the road for five days and just arriving here in Boulder I'm still waiting for another Vanagon owner to come running over to my bus and gush about the South African Grill I just installed. I got it from listee James Cohen (jscohen@sprynet.com). The Hella lights set up he supplies really lit up the night on dark roads. Very cool and very cool looking. Even if I'm the only one who thinks so. I figured I'd get some attention here in Boulder because the Vanagons abound.

I also Stopped in an saw Glen the owner of Don's VW in Huntington, WV. I got the name off Karl's recommended mechanics list.(That list is a life saver BTW) Really nice guy. I was in a panic when I smelled and realized my fuel lines were weaping pretty good. He sold me some fuel line to fix my weaping lines over the tank. And advised I just keep it at 3/4 or below and I'd be fine for a while. Had a nice chat--nice guy. (A listee maroon Westy was there for repair.)

Thanks to those who gave me front bearing advice before I hit the road.

And wish you all well

Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC