Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 1999 02:02:31 -0400
From:         Noto-Gaudette <derwin@NET1PLUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bad Mechanic ???

>these vehicles having a known history of head-gasket problems, when >overheated.

Hmmmm...I thought Vanagons overheat because of the head gasket problem (bad gasket=coolant loss=high temps), not the other way around. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I think the "known history" of head-gasket problems is that of corrosion, which increases the risk of overheating. Corrosion works it's way in between the head and gasket over time and miles. Gaskets might leak when they're cold (due to contraction), or fail in a big way while the engine's hot--at a stop light or wherever--but the failure has been approaching for the last 60,000 miles or so.

Corrosion--not the gasket failure--is also probably the reason for the mechanic's recommendation to replace the heads. The heads probably have an uneven surface, probably pitted from thousands of miles of use--no matter what coolant you used--in which case a tight seal with the new gasket is unlikely.

Is your radiator free of blockage? The same manual that apparently (I don't have one) says not to idle for over 30 minutes probably tells you to always use VW coolant in order to avoid overheating and corrosion--did you? Did you follow the coolant change schedule as recommended by the manual? Got the receipts? In fact, how do you know that the engine overheated when the gasket failed? Because of an owner's manual warning? Is there any damage anywhere else to the engine due to overheating? Perhaps the big event when the gasket failed was just a puddle of coolant on the floor. I'd want to know for sure before I brought a suit--or else you might face a counter suit seeking to recover his legal expenses. Ask your lawyer who has the burden of proving whether the engine was ready to "pack it in." If the burden is yours, rather than the mechanic bringing in metalurgical experts, if anyone would, it would be you. (No offense, M.R. :-) I'm just trying to save on "Stranded" some legal expenses...)

I'm not crazy about the idea that it's better to replace the engine rather than rebuild, but if you've put nearly 60,000 miles on your engine since the last head gasket replacement, or you replaced the head gaskets without replacing the heads, AND your mechanic is recommending a new engine due to corrosion & pitting on the heads, NOT heat damage, consider yourself lucky--when your head gasket failed because of corrosion, you didn't even have to pay for a tow! If you can't get a warrantee for a rebuild (hey! there's something to negotiate for!), maybe you should bring it elsewhere and have it thoroughly checked out for damage from overheating (then you might have a case!)--as you rebuild.

Anyhow, I wish you good luck in finding a fair repair deal for your Vanagon!

-George Disclaimers: I am not a legal expert. My cat prefers canned food. I have never slept in a barrel.