Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:45:18 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      The Best Laid Plans... (long)

This summer has been bereft of trips because of the impending Bar Mitzvah of my son David. It seemed appropriate for the whole family to prepare (translation - spruce up the house) for the festivities and allow David the opportunity to practice with his tutors. Well, all went splendidly this past weekend, so now it was time to get on the road. Three short trips in as many weeks seemed a good way to even the score.

First is an overnight with my lovely wife, Carol, at Grand Marais, on the fabled North Shore of Lake Superior.

Next is a road trip to Detroit with deserving son, David, to pick up one of the rare Westy-style single middle seats, with swivel, armrests, and a storage area. Also waiting are front and rear Westy tables and brackets, and a few miscellaneous items. (Since my Syncro wasn't born to be a camper, a few appropriate mods should make a welcome addition.)

Finally. nineteen year old son, Benjamin, and I plan on a triumphant return to BBTA 15, for the second year of what promises to be an annual event.

At least I have had all summer to prepare the Syncro for these jaunts, as I confidently anticipated the three journeys. On Monday I was on my way to my trusty mechanic, Mark, to have him replace the RR half axle (minor cv noise) and the next thing I knew buzzers and lights went berserk and the temp gauge was pegged. I happened to be on a freeway bridge at the time, left lane, 60 mph, with lots of traffic. I couldn't safely stop, so I turned both heaters on max and drove about 3/4 mile until I could get to a safe place to coast off the road.

Benjamin, who was on his way to meet me to give me a lift home, towed me to Mark's garage. (Thank goodness for two cell phones.) My guess was a ruptured coolant hose, which turned out to be accurate. However, it was the large front one and Mark informed that by the time the buzzer sounded, I was already out of coolant and running really hot. This resulted in so much pressure that my head gaskets gave out on both sides. I was aware that I had been on borrowed time as (to my knowledge) they never had been done and I have 160K on the engine. I just thought that there would be some seepage as a warning, never guessing that the whole thing would go in a matter of seconds.

Well, the good news is that my guru Mark says the heads can be machined and rebuilt, parts and labor for under $ 800. Also, it happened in town, not on the road to Grand Marais, Detroit, or BBTA, and the rest of my engine is apparently okay. (This episode has convinced me even more about the benefits of synthetic oil as a high temperature lubricant.) The negative is that Mark can't get to the job until the end of next week, so we towed the Syncro home to have it rest in our garage until then.

Okay, we have plenty of vehicles, so I decided to take Benjamin's 88 Toyota Camry. First I needed to have both front sway bar bushings replaced, which had been a postponed repair that couldn't safely wait any longer considering the unexpected need for extended highway usage. I picked up two lower control arm assemblies from a local boneyard and Mark squeezed me into his schedule on Tuesday. So far, so good. On Wednesday it was time to install a cassette deck and reconnect the dash lights, both casualties of Benjamin's shift of his mongo stereo into his newly purchased 86 Audi 5000 turbo. Well, it seems that Benjamin is much better at installing than re-installing, as he had customized the Camry so much electrically that we couldn't make anything work in the allotted time. Back-up plan was to use a boom box powered by our inverter, and handle the night drive from Duluth back to Minneapolis with the aid of a flashlight and the cruise control. More permanent repairs could be done next week prior to the Detroit trip. Oh, yeah, there were the small matters of an oil change, tire checks, obtaining a spare fan belt, fuses, and why didn't this kid keep a jack and lug wrench in the trunk! (Apparently Benjamin feels that just because a car is running fine now, it will do so consistently, especially far from home and the convenience of FLAPS and mechanics.)

By 9:00 P.M. Wednesday it was time to head for the gas station so we could have a smooth morning departure. With the fresh (synthetic-blend) oil, the engine just purred as I backed out of the driveway, and kept on purring as I shifted into drive. However, when you depress the accelerator, a gentle roar and a kick in the pants is typically expected. (Remember, this is a DOHC small car, not one of our beloved Vanagons.) What actually occured was absolutely nothing in the range of forward motion. Somehow the excitement of a road trip was too much for the Toyota's previously dependable transmission, as it now was in a state of suspended animation, or is paralysis a more apt description?

Well, I was getting pretty experienced at unanticipated vehicle catastrophies, so we calmly pushed the Toyota back into the driveway, where it rests appropriately right behind the Syncro.

Next in line is Carol's trusty (and rusty) 81 Volvo 240 GL. It has the substantial advantages of a functioning am/fm/cassette, dash lights that work, fresh oil already in place, a jack and lug wrench in the right place, and the familiarity that only decades with a vehicle can bring. True, the a/c is decidedly weak, and high beams are now high beam, but the sun roof still works, and the seats are original Volvo.

If anything happens to the Volvo, my AAA card is going to get quite a workout, as these trips will be taken as planned, as Hell and high water already seem to have occured.

I will post an update, hopefully after BBTA, which I still expect to attend in a newly head-gasketed Syncro.

Good wishes are not only appreciated; they are probably essential.

Note to Jim Fritz: Please give me the exact description of the headlight retainer (with a Bentley reference, if possible) so that I can get you the correct part. Do you want just one, or multiple items?

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky Blue Waters)