Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:33:20 -0300
From:         Sean O'Neil <soneil@NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Vanagon Radiators - A cautionary note.

Two days ago my vanagon bled to death while I was parallel parking it in a busy downtown street. A kind pedestrian pointed out that "green stuff" was shooting out of the grill. Not even hesitating I parked so as to take up two spaces so that a flatbed towtruck could get in before I went to assess the situation myself - after turning the beast off.

It was a geyser of coolant, hot and under pressure, much like me by that time. It was coming out through the lower grill and from under the bumper of my 84 Westy. I had it towed to my mechanic.

Here is the poop on the radiator design flaw (at least that is what I call it). The flaw is not in the coil and fins part of the radiator but rather the frame that holds it all together. More specifically the bottom bracket/brace of the frame assembly that bolts to the body. It is perfectly designed to catch and trap water, grit, salt, etc. and allow those elements to gradually corrode the bracket until the corrosion reaches both the lower rad coils and works the whole assembly loose from the body until it hangs suspended from the flex hoses that feed the rad. Those hoses aren't designed to hold the weight of a full rad and consequently let go.

Worst of all, I don't think this is something you can see/inspect without the rad removed. It reminds me of the other unseen enemy site - top of the gas tank.

My mechanic (VW's only) reports that this is the third one this summer he has replaced for exactly the same reason. I wouldn't have believed it except that I saw it for myself when he took out the rad.

So, FWIW, owners of older vanagons (especially in areas that salt their roads) beware. Owners of newer vanagons - be aware.

While I was at it I had my broken anti-sway link repaired using the drill and tap for bolt replacement method. Works like a charm and cost $20 Canadian dollars vs. the $100 Can for a dealership replacement with new bushing and rubber (no labour, just parts). VW - builders of great vehicles, blackmailers of people who own same vehicles.

[text/x-vcard]

begin:vcard n:O'Neil;Sean tel;work:(902) 425-3607 x-mozilla-html:TRUE adr:;;;Halifax;Nova Scotia;;Canada, eh! version:2.1 email;internet:soneil@ns.sympatico.ca fn:Sean O'Neil end:vcard