Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:04:05 -0700
From:         Jeff and Deb <jeffndeb@GCI.NET>
Subject:      tires, should I buy?

Hi All,

My neighboor is offering me a set of 4 of almost new studded radial snow tires on clean steel vanagon rims with no obvious blemishes that I can see, and studs totally in tact. They would be for an 86 vanagon They are: 195/75 R14's Hercules Polar trax M/S tread: 2 ply steel, 2 ply poly and 2 ply poly on sidewalls 1400 lbs max 35 psi. max As there is no where to go in the winter in Juneau, I will be driving them very little with almost no load. Must have studded tires to get up to my house in even a light snowfall.

I know that this runs against the grain of the recomendations for a light truck tire, but I wonder if I can get by with them?

I am also confused about why they are not rated as a light truck tire? My existing LT 195/75 R14's (a MS tire) have exactly the same steel/poly ply construction stated on the tire, but are rated at 50 psi. I thought that once you got into this 6 ply configuration it was a given that the tire would be a "light truck" type?

Oh, and given the description (if I am not completely off base on going for what sounds like a passenger tire) what do you suggest I offer for them?

Thanks again, Jeff Hartman Juneau, AK jeffndeb@gci.net